"Austenland" by Shannon Hale
Goodread Summary:
Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life: no real man can compare. But when a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined.
Decked out in empire-waist gowns, Jane struggles to master Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen;or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them. It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to fall away, and the more she wonders: Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?
My Rating and Review
I love Shannon Hale. Her books are captivating. This book was a little different for me. It was entertaining and it kept my attention. It just wasn't my favorite. I just couldn't feel a connection with Jane, the main character. I wasn't really rooting for her or hoping things would work out. I guess I am cold hearted. Maybe, because for me, the whole premise was too far fetched. But, neither is Hunger Games and I loved that series. I am willing to give Austenland a 2 1/2 star rating. It's the best I can do.

2 comments:
I will probably not read this book after reading your review and rating, though the premise is interesting.
Sounds good. And have you changed your reading genre a bit lately?
=)
Post a Comment