Monday, June 3, 2013

Does he like it or not???

I don't really understand what he means.

You see, Hubs has always claimed to hate fish. Seafood. Anything that has lived or breathed in the ocean, he refuses to eat. Ever.

I grew up in New Mexico, nowhere near the ocean and so we only ever had canned tuna. On occasion my mom would eat some sort of canned shrimp with ketchup on it, which is slightly disturbing.

Then I met salmon. Technically he didn't meet me, being dead and all. But after one bite, I knew that I liked him.

Last month, I was cooking up salmon for myself. Hubs came in and observed, "Wow! What smells so good?"

"Oh. You must be talking about my salmon." I was pretty sure it wasn't the hot dogs that were cooking for everyone else. Those don't smell delicious at all.

"Oh. Hmmmm," he responded.

"Why don't you try a bite. Seriously, this stuff is good. You might like it. It tastes better than it smells," I coaxed. He agreed.

He took a small...very small...bite. He nodded with a smile. "That tastes good. Very tasty," he signed.

"Cool. Do you want some of mine?" I asked, willing to give up half my dinner. See, always a giver.

"No way. I don't like fish," he answered, surprised by my question.

"But you just said that the salmon tasted good." Huh???.

"I did. And I do. But I don't like fish."

Is anyone else confused?

8 comments:

Eugenie said...

I had to laugh at the dead salmon not meeting you! almost spilled my tea )))))

As for your husband, mine is about the same. He tries my salad, says it tastes nice but then does not eat it because he does not like that much greens. Eh well. I am used to it.

Gabe said...

He is a man of conviction!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a mental block to me. While he will admit it does taste good the fact that it is fish is where he runs into problems. So he can't like ANYTHING that is Fish, whether he likes it or not..

Juli said...

Kind of like my cousin, who is a vegetarian. Except for Hot Dogs. :)

Susan Anderson said...

Principle, my dear. Principle.

;)

Diamomd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diamomd said...

I had a couple come for dinner one time. The Husband ate 5 helpings (telling us how delicious it was the whole time) and asked for the recipe. When I gave it to his wife he saw that there was a little bit of Mayo in it. He said never mind I don't like it anymore, I don't like Mayo. I laughed so hard.

icdamoon said...

As a MAN who is also of the persuasion of NOT liking Fish or anything in the Seabug category... (although I do like canned tuna and I have eaten salmon from a can as Salmon Patties mmmm)

If HUBS says that it tasted good it is true. The issue is if he eats it... then you will then encourage him to eat more of it, and then he cannot have the excuse to not eat it, because he has eaten it with you... you would also like to make him taste more of the seabug food like crabs and lobster and god forbid squid or clams or oysters or snails... see it is perfectly clear to me at least, that it did taste good but he doesn't like fish!