Monday, June 10, 2013

So I Married a Deaf Man: Of course he does

Of course he wants hardwood/laminate floors.

Why wouldn't he? I mean they look nice. They clean easily. They keep the place cool. Who wouldn't want floors like that?
Ummm, me!

I'm all for aesthetics. I am. But I haven't forgotten that I have 5 active and actively loud children.

Wooden floors would be great when you didn't have to hear the piano that for some reason only plays fortissimo (ff). No problem.

They would be nice if you didn't have a son that decides to take up the trumpet and the bugle. No biggie.

Nice if you didn't have CODA kids (child of deaf adult) who's volume level only comes in loud and louder. Do-able.

Perfect if you didn't have 5 children and two dogs. Can you imagine that?.

But that's not us. We have all those things.

We have kids who like to play. Kids who more often than I would like bounce their balls in the house. Kids who argue in loud voices from time to time. Kids who love music.

We have kids. Lots of them. Plain and simple. Enough said.

And though he doesn't have to deal with the volume of the sound that comes from having the wonderful children that we have, but I do.

Someday we can have those nice floors. You know, when all our kids are grown and gone. When the only thing I will hear is.....who am I kidding. I am hoping to have a house filled with little grandies running all over my house, playing the piano, bouncing balls, and doing what kids do best....making me love them.

So the fancy floors will have to wait....

...until my mansion in Heaven.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh man!

You present this case quite well.

Hardwood really does resonate everywhere!

Thanks for the smile!

This was quite a cute post!

Juli said...

That is EXACTLY why I put in carpet ten years ago.

Now we're going for it. Well, when the wallet says it's okay anyways.

Susan Anderson said...

I love our laminate, actually. Even when the grandkids are visiting!

Having said that, I will freely admit that I had kitchen linoleum and everything else was carpet when they were young.