Because I am cool like that. What's the point? It's not like they learn anything.
What? Horrible mother!? Oh,wait. I may need to clarify. What I meant to say was that I don't make my kids go to school on the last day of school. Better?
Why? I have my reasons.
For starters, there isn't going to be any learning happening that day. How do I know this? Because the non-learning has already started. Each of my children, and I am not exaggerating, have at least 2 parties and a play date in the next 10 days. Yeah no learning.
Plus the teachers are practically begging them to stay. Heck, they told them, "If you come on Tuesday, we are just going to be cleaning the room." And we all know what kind of power a phrase like "clean our room" has on children. They run away. Far away.
I don't think the school district wants my kids to come to last day of school. Heck, they made the last day of school the day after Memorial Day. Are you kidding me?? I know it was a snow day, but why not make school start one day earlier to avoid it becoming a sluff day.
But the real reason we ditch? I want a jumpstart to my summer!! Plus, it's become a family tradition...our own family party. We sleep in...or at least
Do you make your kids go?
7 comments:
What a great tradition! My kids are missing the last day, too. They can't quite get over the fact that they are missing it. Maybe we need to start a new tradition!
I'm feeling like our schools don't teach the kids the last whole week of school. They have year book signing and plays etc. Our last day is 2 hours long so they aren't going either.
don't get me started about the learning...they spend more time walking in the hallways or killing time...school could be cut by 3 hrs
i like to pull my kids too and take them for treats...freaks them out when they don't expect it hee hee
My kids always wanted to go. I guess they felt some kind of closure in the sheer chaos of it all.
=)
I remember always wanting to go on the last day (of elementary school) because we got to do the crazy traditional papers in the air once outside the doors (we did clean it up though). My kids don't particularly care (although my younger daughter is going b/c she doesn't want to mess up her perfect attendance). In all honesty, at my daughter's middle school, they stopped teaching the minute standardized tests were over last month so I feel (and she feels) like school ended in April. She just still has to go every day.
And you're right; it doesn't make sense to go the day after a holiday, snow day makeup or not.
I always felt the need to go on the last day of school. It was the one day a year when nothing mattered. Teachers didn't care what we did, and we didn't care either. It was all just fun and games.
I send my girls on the last day... even though they don't do anything but watch movies or play games. It's another day I get to myself before the craziness of summer starts, LOL!
Post a Comment