Erase. Erase.
Having five kids means we eat a lot of food. Not individually, though I wonder sometimes. But I am talking about as a group, we consume a bunch of food. Because of this, a substantial amount of money is spent on food. It is second only to rent.
Yeah, I know. Told ya. Lots of food. Searching for deals is a must for a wise mother of five. Right?
So any guesses what I paid for this bunch of food?

$56??

$5??
Nope. Wrong again. My whopping total was......
$215.
Yup, that's right. I have never claimed to be a wise mother. A mother of five children, yes. Absolutely. No denying that one, no matter how much I suck in. But wise? No. At least not when it comes to bargains.
Who has the time? I mean...I don't. I barely have time to go potty twice a day...so cutting coupons is totally out of the question. Plus, I think I might get sucked into "GREAT DEAL"s on things that I wouldn't normally buy.
Glade Plug-ins...not really something I buy. "But you can get them for $0.75 each if you buy 20!" But I don't use them. Ever. So if I got 20, I would have to find a place to store them and that would mean getting rid of one of my children and can you imagine the Mommy guilt that would accompany trading your child for Glade Plug-ins? I mean, which child would I choose?
Okay, so I might know which one...but that's not the point!!
Couponing is just not for me. I do, however, take advantage of my friends who coupon and are the best bargain shoppers! I haven't had to buy contact solution for about a year now because of my friend Susan. She gets them for free and then gives them to me. Sweet.
Is that wrong? Rude? Unfriend-like. You don't mind, do you Susan? Which of my children do you want? How's that for payback???
Nah, I'll keep my $200/week food bill.
Can't risk losing my friend Susan....er...I mean my child.
What about you? Do you coupon?
Linking up with Jenny's ABC Thursday.
15 comments:
Oh, I cut those coupons out every Sunday and get them ready for the shopping. I even got a little coupon holder where you put them in different slots for easier finding. I get to the store and.....I forgot the coupons, on the kitchen table, in the other car, etc. Ugh!
I never was a coupon collector. I found that store brands are usually cheaper than the food with the coupon.
No coupons for me. They're rarely available for things I like...and why buy 29 glade plugins juxt because they're on sale if u won't use a single one?! :)
the amount is larger than I thought. guess that means I have no clue how to save but sometimes it is necessary to spend. food is a necessity at all.
no coupons for me but I do try to skip buying expensive brands.
hope you're having a great day.
Ha! I quit fooling with coupons long ago when I realized that I NEVER remembered to bring them along to the store!! I just get store brands!
Now, Glade Plug-ins in trade for a kid? Hmmm, let me think.....
:p
For the past three years I've been cutting coupons and sending them to my daughter in Guam..She gets double at the BX and they take them for 6 months past the date.. she has three little boys and like your children they eat loads of food.. she is thinking of baby #4,,,,I'll tell you, her household is totally vegan so her food bill is not huge because of no meat products or dairy or box foods... saves a bundle and keeps you healthy to boot... but she loves her coupons and they can't get them there...she go's to coupon party's where they exchange with each other and has a laugh to boot..
Do what you can to save a few bucks and good luck with those sweet kids..
Sandy
I extreme couponed for a while. But its a lot of work. And it's an everyday thing. And you need space. LOTS of space. Which I do not have.
So no more extreme coupon-ing for me. For now I just stick to the gas reward points we can use at the gas station and only buy what we will actually eat.
Unless it's free. Then we'll donate it. :)
I use some coupons but I am not fanatical like some folks are! I have five children too. Although the baby is off to college out of state this fall we always had to get creative to keep the food on the table! We bought a lot of bulk in those days! Great post. Enjoy your weekend.
Coupons make me want to buy things I don't use, too. But I do try to be a little sensible, and frugal. The food bill keeps growing and growing as my boys do. They are eating machines!
-Catherine
I used to coupon. When I absolutely had to.
Now? Not so much.
;)
I still coupon quite a bit.
It lets me buy lots of food for my Grandlittles and the transitional house my daughter lives in.
I don't always enjoy it, but it really helps!
Wow! I am famous!!! Stef actually mentioned me in a blog! Yes my name is Susan and I am a coupon a holic. I do buy stuff I dont need. But see there's this family that just lost their home in a fire and I gave the all my extra Glade, Windex and mouthwash I had piling up. See. I did need it!!!!! I know I need therapy!
Hello.
I don't have a clue when it comes to shopping...I just look pretty pushing the cart! LOL
My wife does use coupons sometimes, but she says most of the times the coupons are for products that we either don't like or just don't buy.
Fun post. Thanks for sharing.
Before Every Listening Ear
I grew up in a family of 7 kids and we went to the Base Commissary every Saturday. We would buy 15 1/2 gallons of milk a week and like 7 loaves of bread plus all of the other stuff so I get the dilemma. Last night I watched Extreme Couponing and those people save tons of money but at the same time they are totally addicts. I think it would be a good idea for you and maybe two friends to work together to get good stuff in bulk with coupons. Have you thought of COSTCO? Another idea is a garden to grow some food in your backyard. Kids could help pull weeds and water and keep the dogs out... Tomatoes and peppers are easy as long as you keep watering them. You can get some chickens like your boss and have fresh huevos... in the old days it was people on the "farm" would have loads of kids to do the work... put them to work for you! If they cut the coupons they can learn math! See all good... if you only need five glade plug-ins I bet your friends need some... sell them and make a profit!!! Then you can buy more food.... Oh and if you plant GRAPES... you can have REAL FRESH RAISINS!
i nearly died laughing...i thought 'OMG SHE DID NOT GET THAT FOR $5'
deep sigh...i'm not the mother of the year when it comes to shopping...i'm lucky to get out for under $300...don't get me started when i buy diapers and wipes...thankfully reid is on an every other weekly box of dipes.
i guess that changes in a few many weeks huh!
Post a Comment