Monday, March 5, 2012

Does this taste funny to you?

I love strawberries. Almost as much as I like watermelon. Almost.

During summertime, when strawberries are cheap, we always have them available...right next to the watermelon.

However, during the winter, the only place I am able to get yummy strawberries at a decent price is at Sam's Club. Tons of strawberries...big strawberries...without breaking the bank.

So guess where I went on Thursday. Sears. And then guess where I went. Yup, Sam's club. And buy strawberries I did.  "These aren't going to last very long once the kids see them," I informed Hubs.

In order to make them last longer, I decided to hide them. Waaaaaaaaaaay in the back....behind the milk, and yogurt and old sour cream. And then some...a deep fridge indeed. That's why stuff gets lost in there. Needless to say, the strawberries were safe!

Or so I thought.

Friday morning, I woke up ready to have myself some fresh strawberries for breakfast. I opened the fridge and was overwhelmed by a pickle-ish smell. "What the..."

As I dug my way passed the milk, passed yogurt and passed the sour cream, there sat my strawberries in a puddle of pickle juice. Apparently, between the time I placed my precious berries in the fridge and Friday morning, someone (other than me...because there is no way it could have been me...no way...), someone had knocked over the pickle jar....and it obviously had a loose lid. The pickles...not the person.

I hate pickles. Almost as much as I hate mustard. Almost. Why? They ruin everything they touch.

Strawberries are no exception.

The fruit on top wasn't as pickly. The flavor could be masked with sugar. The ones on the bottom, however...Ick...yack!! Blech!!!! I couldn't bring myself to chuck them, though, so I have been throwing them in my fruit shakes. (Because pickled strawberry and banana shakes sound delish!)

We are on Day 4 and still plenty of strawberries. Safe indeed.

Remind me to throw out the pickles (and mustard) next time I buy watermelon.

5 comments:

Arnebya said...

That's what you get for hiding! LOL (I hide most of the fruit I want to keep in brussels sprouts bags b/c I don't think they've figured out yet that those are supposed to be frozen).

Susan Anderson said...

hahaha

I'm a strawberry freak, too. But not in pickle juice.

;)

Melanie said...

WHAT? Pickles make everything heavenly. Send them here. I will eat your pickled strawberries. :)

Juli said...

And now, after reading this, I have just remembered that I have two pints of strawberries ripe for the picking.

:)

Gotta go.

Mary said...

Ewwwww. That's pretty disgusting.