Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's just and egg...right?

Alright, my chef-like friends. Maybe you can solve the mystery for me. What is the trick for taking the shell off a hard boiled egg? I really would like to know.


Tonight I was attempting to make "deviled eggs". By the time I was done they looked like "What the devil kind of eggs are those?" eggs. They white parts were totally trashed...not beautiful. Not perfectly formed. Nope.


Don't get me wrong. We still ate them. And they still tasted great.

So if you know....what is the trick? What is the secret? How do you peel and egg shell from the egg beautifully?

Do tell!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

sometimes its an indication of how fresh your eggs are. I usually have really good luck putting mine in a ice when they are done boiling. I pour off the boiling water, add cold water and a LOT of ice. Let them sit for 5 min or so and peel. ; )

Arnebya said...

I don't ice mine like Heidi, but I do remove them from boiling to cold water. If they're too cold, at least in my experience, it's harder to peel b/c the shell becomes adhered. But if they're too hot you'll just be unable to hold it. It's finding that right timing balance, 5 mins like Heidi mentions is about it for me. Cooled off but not cold.

Gabe said...

I just discovered that if you add about 1tablespoon of baking soda to the water as it is boiling the peel like a dream!

heather said...

The way a good southerner makes deviled egg is add a little bit of white vinegar to your water when you are boiling them. Then let them soak in ice water for a few minutes when done.

Just Jennifer said...

I read the vinegar trick on Pinterest- so it must be true! ;) I don't make them because they are so obnoxious to peel but they are so delicious....

darbie said...

buy them at costco already hard boiled AND peeled. $4 for 2 dozen and soooo worth it!

Susan Anderson said...

Put salt in the water!

And use fresh eggs.

=)

Anonymous said...

My eggs tend to look just like yours!

Juli said...

I have never hard boiled an egg in my life.

I know... I'm useless.

Mary said...

I have no other tidbits of advice! Hope it works out next time for ya!

Jenny said...

I put quite a bit of salt in the water when I boil them and that seems to work.

Baking them works, too.