Monday, October 24, 2011

Can I have some suction please!

Who hates going to the dentist's office raise your hand! (I am raising both and and feet...and typing at the same time. Yes, I am talented.)

There are so many reasons to hate that place. The smell alone makes me sick to my stomach. Plus it sticks to you...just like bacon. Two hours after leaving I can still smell dentist on my hair. Ugh!

There is the biting of cardboard that is designed to either gag you repeatedly or penetrate your gums bringing tears to your eyes.

There is yuck-on a stick they call "topical." Even just the smell of Pina Colada makes my mouth go salty.

Then the needle, which isn't as bad as the crap coming out of the needle. Couldn't they invent some cinnamon flavored numbing agent? Or what about that suction thing. Isn't that what it's there for...to remove unwanted, undesirable stuff from my mouth.

The sound of the drill. Dry mouth. The purple bib. The pushing and pulling in my mouth. The list of unlikeable things is almost endless.

Camden, my 4th child, can add something to that list. Remember, this is my 5 year old who lives in a  three year old's body. He is smaller than most. He had to go in to get two darn fillings. They started him with laughing gas, then the shot.

He started off great. Got through the first tooth no problem. Then they started the second tooth.

Apparently gas was too much for him because in the middle of fixing the tooth, his body decided to vomit. .

"Suction. Suction!!!"

Who knew that thing could handle a peanut butter sandwich with apple slices?

Yes, the hating starts early in our house.

10 comments:

CB said...

Honestly the thing I hate most about the dentist (although I do hate everything you described) is having the 22 year old hygentists tell me how to take care of my teeth. And ask me if I'm flossing, like I am 5 or something - it annoys the hell out of me!

Susan Anderson said...

Oh, that is truly sick that they were suctioning up the abruptly ejected contents of his stomach. Sounds like they gave him too much.

I dislike the dentist myself, as everyone does. One of the things I hate most is the way the dentist asks you questions and actually expects you to answer with his hand in your mouth.

"/

Jenny said...

Oh no! Oh no! Poor little guy!

I'm so sorry. That must have been so hard for both of you!

Juli said...

Wait until they meet the orthadontist. :(

Unknown said...

I hate the dentist as well. Loathe them. With. A. Passion. Poor little feller hope he feels better soon.

Kiddothings said...

I didn't know they could do that! Well, thank goodness for the suction..I think.

I hate the dentist too.

Melanie said...

Nasty, nasty, nasty. That is so gross. But...I guess you should be grateful that they were able to suck it up, rather than him choke on it.

Sorry your experiences are not so good. I, for one, don't mind the dentist too much. Beat's giving birth.

Arnebya said...

As much as I hate the dentist, I've relegated myself to the fact of having to go more often than most, so I deal. I'm in braces now (again!) at thirty friggin' eight. So I've got ortho in conjunction w/very frequent dental visits. I'm trying to get the girls used to going early so they don't have the dread. We went on Saturday and damn if they didn't smell like the office for hours after. And I'm w/Sue. Sounds like they overdid it (maybe they went off of age, not weight?).

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

omg ...haha i wonder how many times they are thrown up on ...?

as for dentist....my oldest made it 15 yrs w/o a stinking cavity. i need to make the appt to fix it...bah. thankfully there is a target next door...i'm dropping off and running there w/the 2 babies! good times

Unknown said...

Poor Camden! I share your feelings about the dentist. My one childhood memory (and trauma) of going to the dentist was being strapped (yes, strapped!) down onto the chair that had this hideous clown picture painted onto it. It was terrifying and painful and I will never like going to the dentist. Ever.