Thursday, October 13, 2011

So I Married a Deaf Man: Word on the Street

What does Scattergories, Taboo, Balderdash and Scrabble have in common?

Words.

These are games that are based on words. I used to spend hours and hours playing them with my family and my friends. They are fun games....

...for people who can hear.

For Hubs, they can get a little....well....boring.

Let's take Taboo. Most of this game is based on synonyms. There really are very few synonyms in ASL.  In English there are many ways to say a person is crying: sniffling, blubbering, weeping, sobbing, etc. In ASL when you say a person is crying, you just sign CRYING. Sure you change your face a bit to show the severity of the crying, but the sign is simply crying.

I remember once when we were engaged, we went to a friend's house to play Taboo. I was, of course, the interpreter. When it was the other person's turn it was hard not to cheat because almost all the clues they were giving were the same sign as the target word.  So I was struggling to spell every guessed word with my fingers at the speed they were guessing. We were behind the guessing so it was more like watching for Hubs. A real finger workout for me.

Then, when it was Hubs' turn to give the clues, He would just sign the words and leave it to me to fill in the synonyms.

Yeah, that game is just not for us.

Scattergories is a little better...but only a little. Hubs would have the clue, but would struggle to find the English word for the sign. So he would just put down the sign, hoping that someone knew the word he wanted. Hello! Cheating!!

I used to love word games. No so much anymore.

Except that we rock at Guesstures.

2 comments:

Kiddothings said...

Hehe...Guesstures - how clever. I love playing Taboo, well not really, it gives me sweaty palms and palpitations.

Susan Anderson said...

Into each marriage a little rain must fall, I guess.

(Too bad it has to fall right smack dab on word games, though.)

;)