Thursday, July 14, 2011

Maimed...since birth????

Why have I never noticed this before?

One of my eyes is smaller than the other. Not the eye ball part. But the eyelid of my left eye isn't as big as my right eyelid. I am not sure that it has always been this way. It could have been. But I haven't noticed it until the other day.

Now I see it All. The. Time.

You see, I sit in front of a picture of myself for 6 hours a day. Not because I want to stare at myself and pick apart all my imperfections. As fun as that sounds, that is not the reason. I am a "Video Relay Interpreter" which means I relay calls from Deaf individuals. I can see them on a TV. They can see me. I then place calls for them and interpret.

Yes. It is quite an amazing thing...

...minus the staring at myself in between calls and on long holds. It was during one of these moments that I noticed my little eye.

I asked Hubs if it has always been this way. He was no help. He hadn't really noticed. He still couldn't tell a big difference. What? It is obvious!! Left small, right big!

I am tempted to call up old flames to see if they remember the lopsidedness of the top half of my face. Is this something I should have checked out. But then who wants to be told by their doctor, "You are a freak of nature. Let's run some tests." or "It's just a birth defect."

Defect? Friends, have you noticed this about me before? Did you have to think twice about being my friend? Does it now scare you? You know, to say you know me?

Love the lady with the crooked lids.

Do you have any of these....er...imperfections?


Linking up with ABC Thursday

19 comments:

chris+amber said...

You crack me up. I never noticed! Lopsided or not, you're beautiful! I have two different profiles. Drives me batty, but it is what makes me, well..me!

Cyndy Bush said...

Your husband sounds like mine; I could have spinach between all of my teeth, bugars hanging out of my nose, and my hair sticking up in 7 directions and he'd never notice.
I don't think I have any freakish features....but maybe I just haven't noticed yet?

Kiddothings said...

Stef, you're just hilarious - in a crazy way! I have very straight hair - does that count as a birth defect?

Kerri said...

Thanks for the laugh this morning Stef!

My left foot is bigger than my right, does that count?!

Anonymous said...

I think I do too. When I look at my wedding pictures, my eyes look a little off.

Vicki/Jake said...

You're funny :)
Mine? The boobs....

Francisca said...

I read about this test once where close friends were asked to list three physical characteristics they most noticed about a particular friend, and that friend was asked to list what S/HE thought they would say. Well, you can imagine... the lists never overlapped, because the friends listed the positive, while the subject the negative. Most subjects were stunned. Similarly, I have curly hair and my sweetheart, while he certainly notices a lot about me, can't tell when I've had my hair cut. He says, "big fuzzy ball, small fuzzy ball, what's the difference?" And he adores me. And the eyes? Most of us have one bigger than the other. Hence we have a "good side" to photograph and a "bad side". Forget about it and smile. :-)

Susan Anderson said...

You are so funny, Stef!

Everyone's face is asymmetrical. That's why profiles look different from either side.

=)

Haute Deb Designs said...

Stef, I'm the exact same way. It drives me nuts trying to put on eye make-up and it's not symmetrical. I always feel like I look like a weirdo!!

Unknown said...

ah! hate when that happens...you notice something about yourself that you don't like. annoying. we all have them though. darn those stupid models & their perfect symmetry!

Ames said...

What you've got there is one smart husband. You might as well have asked if you had a big butt too. He's no dummy! He took the high road. Good man!
Everyone has two different sides of their face. My own graddaughter has one eye bigger than the other and when I mentioned it to my daughter you'd have thought I told her she had an ugly googly eyed baby. No one is perfect! But we are all beautiful in God's eyes. And you are beautiful in your husband's eyes.
P.S. You have a very noble job! Cool!!~Ames

The Crazy Coxes said...

LOL! Most of us have asymmetrical faces. Of course your hubby noticed it, but do you seriously think he is dumb enough to point it out to you? My brother asked his wife if there was anything she would change about her face and she said no. He asked, "Really? Not even the bump on your nose?" What bump? She was ticked for weeks....maybe years.

Juli said...

Left boob is slightly bigger than the right.

Right foot a 1/2 size bigger than the left.

Butt is bigger than I would like.

:)

Gabe said...

Oh my dear. . .too funny!

Its funny that hubs didn't notice, David didn't know what color my eyes were for months after we started dating!

Too bad it stares you in the face all the time!

Debbie said...

I'll show you my driver's license picture sometime--those little holographic words go right across one eye and make it look deformed. But seriously, like everyone else has said, no one's symmetrical--boobs, feet, eyes, mouth, they are all a little different from one side to the other.

In my 30s (so, like 15 years after I got my braces off!) one tooth decided to move. So now I have a gap and I have to remember to tilt my head ever so slightly when I care what a picture looks like.

K said...

My breasts :( Maybe it just happened after I became a mother and nursed, or maybe one was always slightly bigger than the other. Not so noticeable to anyone else, maybe just my husband, but I notice. Funny how in addition to the one slightly bigger breast, on that same side of my body my nostril and my foot are both slightly bigger too. Any clue as to why?

Jenny said...

No. Can't say I can. I am utter perfection in all ways and...

cough. cough. sputter. choke.

Ummm...

Okay, forget that particular fiction.

Maybe you can make a disguise. Or put eyeliner on in one of those tricky make-up artist ways...

I've seen your picture before and you're beautiful. Love what you do for a living!

Thanks for an aMusing link this week.

A+

Unknown said...

Too funny! Before you start getting thinking too much about the lopsided eyelid, have you ever thought about measuring it with a tape measurer? Maybe it's all in your head and you *think* it looks smaller but it isn't really. :)

On second thought, maybe it's better you didn't or you might confirm that it really is smaller and you'll just feel even more self conscious. :)

Handsfullmom said...

Most people do, and you know what? I never noticed either until I became a photographer. After taking all these photos of people and then making sure all of them are just right, it's easy to see little things like that. So I really, really wouldn't worry about it. =)