Tuesday, July 19, 2011

All you are is...mean.

If you are a professional, I would expect you to behave like a professional. Am I wrong here?

I don't care how old you are. I don't care your field. I don't care how much I am paying you. You have the obligation to treat me, your customer with respect. This requirement is magnified the moment I place one of my children in your care.

This summer, my oldest joined the swim team in our community. It has been such a great experience for him. We encouraged  him to join because we knew it would be a confidence booster for him. We figured because it is such an individual sport and yet still a team sport it would be perfect for him.

You see, my oldest is very tender hearted. A better friend you will not find because he is genuine. He asks you a question because he really wants to know more about you. He is keenly aware of others feelings and doesn't want to hurt anyone. Great guy.

The flip side is that he isn't aggressive...at all. He struggles with this because so many boys his age are. They are much more competitive and rough and less considerate of others. He is willing to let others win just so they will feel good about themselves.

This is why when we heard about the swim team, we signed him up. And like I said, it has been great.

Today, however, when I pulled up to the pool to pick Kobe up, he was really quiet. Unusually quiet. I looked at him and asked, "Hey. What's up? Is everything okay?"

"I guess I am a baby," he replied, tearing up.
"What? Who told you that?" I asked, feeling the temperature in my blood start to rise.
"The assistant coach," he sniffled out.

I asked him to explain what happened.

**It is important to note that for the past week, they have been swimming with jeans so that when they compete, they will be much stronger.**

Well, today, for whatever reason, Kobe was having a hard time. Maybe it was because he swam in six different events Saturday. Maybe it's because he had his trunks on under his pants. Maybe it's because he is still getting over being sick. Maybe I am giving him too many excuses. But for whatever reason, it was really hard for him today.

Doesn't everyone have an off day? We are allowed that, right?

Apparently the assistant coach didn't think so. She started yelling at him, "Come on, you baby! Stop being a baby!!" She said this more than once.

These are children.

They aren't college students who have developed thick skin. They aren't high school kids who couldn't care less what you say because they know more than you anyway. No. You are working with impressionable kids who take what you say to heart. Some of them literally.

It's one thing to come from a peer. It's totally different to come from an adult. But it is absolutely unacceptable to come from a professional. Do you not know the difference between encouraging and degrading? Surely you know it does nothing in building their confidence.

I assured him that he wasn't a baby. The problem was not his...it sounded more like it was hers. Perhaps she hadn't learned that degrading others was not considered motivating.

You can bet that I will be at the pool tomorrow. Keeping an eye on that gal. Most likely speaking with the head coach.

Am I overreacting? Would you be upset? What would you do? 

Really, what should I do?

20 comments:

Chelsea said...

I don't think you are overreacting at all. I think you speaking to the coach is very appropriate. I am not a parent *my blood is boiling after reading this though*, but my mother always went to bat for me and it showed me just because I was a kid and they were an adult they weren't allowed to treat me like that.

Cyndy Bush said...

I am so mad just from reading this. You are NOT overreacting.

Kiddothings said...

You are most certainly NOT overreacting and have every right to be upset. I would bring it up to the head coach about it to resolve the matter. I'm sorry your son had to go through that.

Kerri said...

Boiling over here. Totally unacceptable and like you said calling a child a name is degrading and in no way shape or form encouraging or motivating. I would be talking to BOTH those coaches-ASAP. It makes me so sad for your son. I swam on a team for 8 yrs. and even though it's a team sport...really you're competing all alone...and it's not easy to do. I hope your son knows that coach was wrong. Sorry to go on and on....makes me so mad!

Gabe said...

no you are not overreacting. . .We had a similar situation with our Drew this summer and he is almost in high school. A coach got in his face and critized him in front of the whole team...bless his heart he stood up to him, but then he cried. . .he was so embarassed. Parenting is such a tough gig!!

And yes, I would say something to the coach. . .if you don't then they will think it is ok. And lets face it, its not ok at any age!

Haute Deb Designs said...

Oh, Stef, I am so sorry! Logan is very sensitive, too, so I totally understand your concerns. I would definitely talk to the head coach right away! That's just horrible. :(

Unknown said...

OH I would have gone back in THAT day and confronted her.. that was wrong.. and I can think of sooo many things I would want to say...

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

what is wrong with her???? seriously?! i agree...you DO need to say something to the head coach and i'd be staring at her like a pit bull...

the only person who should be talking like that to anyone would be my boot camp instructor after seeing me in a fetal position after 2 push ups...(that is if i ever went to a class)

Unknown said...

grr! people like that get under my skin! i grew up being an athlete and i can assure that your feelings are right on. go, be there to supervise & let that coach know that behavior is inappropriate. they need to be aware that your child will not excel in those conditions. especially if you are paying them! hope things change...

Mary said...

Any adult who works with children should know that it's never okay to degrade a child. I would definitely say something to the head coach.

chris+amber said...

Ugh...I would be in her face. No body messes with Mama Bear! And, I would do the same as you...talk to the head coach. I hope she gets fired AND apologizes to Kobe. Poor kid. Let us know what happened. Good luck!

Arnebya said...

Not overreacting at all. How old is the assistant coach (I ask b/c the assts here are all late teens rather than adults). Regardless of age, though, anyone working w/kids "should" know the difference between encouragement and degradation. Unfortunately, some don't (as appears to be the case in this instance). It just really irks me when an adult makes a kid cry. I guarantee you her story will be different from your son's. She'll make it seem like it's all in his head, that she was saying he was acting like a baby, not that he "is" a baby. B/c there's a difference, you know (rolling my eyes).

Susan Anderson said...

I would definitely be talking to her about that behavior. It is totally inappropriate.

"/

The Crazy Coxes said...

Ohhh.....I'm sorry! No fun!!! I would mention to the coach that he is pretty sensitive and perhaps there is a better way to motivate than call someone a baby.

K said...

I would definitely say something to the head coach. It amazes me that some adults expect children to be absolutely 100% perfect, on top of their game, ideal individuals ALL OF THE TIME. We even get this from adults very close to my children. And it really makes me angry, because my children are the ones that suffer from how they are treated or talked to by adults. I sure hope it is a better day for your son!

Unknown said...

I feel so bad for Kobe. It's definitely NOT his fault. You should definitely be mad about this incident and have a talk with the head coach about this too. That assistant coach should not be saying things like that to kids as young as Kobe. She seems to have forgotten that she's working with kids and not adults. Kids need encouragement not belittling.

Ooo, I'm so mad right now that I want to fly over to your town and give that assistant coach a piece of MY mind!

Lyssa said...

You are not overreacting. I do think it is a good idea to wait a bit before you talk to the coach. Get control of yourself so you can approach the situation with logic and dignity instead of screaming and tears. I like to write a good, scathing email and then slowly rework it into something more civil. It makes me feel much better. But you should never feel bad for standing up for a child.

Carrie said...

Oh I would be all over that! You'll have to let us know what happened. TOTALLY unprofessional and down-right wrong.

martha brown said...

I hope that you went and spoke to that (ass)istant coach! She should never have belittled him like that. I used to be a swim coach and I am embarrassed that she did that. Now I am a primary school teacher and we are taught not to criticize kids in front of their peers EVER. And really, this wasn't criticism, it was..... well... mean!

Unknown said...

So...did you talk to her? What happened?