Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vague

"I'm going to see a man about a horse."

That is what my mom and dad would say to me when I was young and asking where they were going.

They weren't really going to see a man about a horse. That would have been purposterous. We didn't have space for a horse. We didn't have hay to feed the horse. And Mom was the only one who knew how to ride a horse.

That is just what they would say so that they wouldn't have to tell us where they were going.

Tonight, when I asked my creative brain where it had gone, it responded, "To see a man about a horse."

Since it has left and I don't know when it will be coming back, I will leave you with the words of a song my dad used to sing to me. Say it a few times in your head. You just may laugh.

"She has freckles on her but I love her so."

What one liners did your parents use on you?

12 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

Haha, I love the freckles line...
My parents said the "seeing a man about a horse" thing too. My mom's favorite was when we asked her what time it was, she'd say "the time all dogs are dead, aren't you glad you're a puppy?" How WEIRD is that??

Kerri said...

I can't think of any one liners my parents use to say...but my husband says he' going to see a man about a horse too. I had never heard that before!

Tim and Sara said...

If we would say, "I'm hungry" my mom would say, "Nice to meet you." I'm so glad things went well with Kyla! Toothaches are no fun!

jsturner1 said...

I thought that expression "to see a man about a horse" was for when you were going to use the bathroom??? Anyway our most often heard one liner was "Beacuse I said so", or maybe it was "Life is not Fair". Either one says my mom enjoyed us dearly!

Diane said...

My dad used to say that too and I have actually caught myself saying it to my boys but once I said, "going to see a man about a dog" and they believed me because they could totally see me bringing home another dog so I have to be careful with that one!

My creativity/mojo has up and left the building too and has been gone for way too long now!

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

" Hold her newt...she's headed for a pea patch" my step mother would say this when riding in the car...ha ha.

as for going to see a man about a horse...that always meant we were going to take a poo ! (looks like me and jsturner are from the same family) haha

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

and as for me...mine to the kids

i hear "MOMMMMM"
i respond "she's not here"

Anonymous said...

I love the horse line! When I left my guys for 24 hours this week to go to a conference they did really well but, my husband told JDaniel the next day "Back to Business" mom is home.

The Farm-Marm said...

i can remember asking my dad where we were going once, i must've been 4. he just said "goin crazy, wanna come?" i have used that on my kids ever since the first one (now 22) asked the question. another one i've heard is "wherever the road leads"

jen said...

I've heard that same "man about a horse" comment my whole life, and my dad always meant, "time for a long visit in the bathroom." Will that change your perspective on this saying now?

Unknown said...

"Use your head for something besides growing hair."

And the seeing the horse thing--I've always thought that meant going to the bathroom, too.

Teachinfourth said...

"Dad, will you bring us a surprise?"

"Yeah, you'll be surprised..."

OR

"Dad, will you bring us a surprise?"

"Close your eyes, what do you see?"

"Nothing."

"Surprise."

Yeah, my dad was pretty awesome like that.