Monday, June 27, 2011

Peace

Who knew that "Going to see a man about a horse" meant that you were taking a trip to the toilet. A long trip. When I asked my dad about it this weekend, he denied knowing that's what it meant. And I really hope that he didn't know because he and mom took quite a few trips to that man and his horse together.

I'm just saying.

I have always said that I could never live in California because they have earthquakes (and wacky law makers as well...but we don't talk politics here, do we?). I could never live in the Midwest because they have tornadoes. The south and southeast have hurricanes. And the northeast coast...well, it's just too dang far from family.

I would rather live in the west.

Why? There are really no real natural disasters. Except drought. That's not so bad. Or so I thought.

Last night, I was getting my kids into bed and I noticed this red glow on the other side of town. It was a fire. A large fire. And it actually was not across town. More like 2 hours away. In the mountains. But I could see the fire from my kids' windows.

The huge AZ fire burning sent smoke into our state that made my eyes burn and forced me to keep my kids inside during the early evening. Fires to the north of us. Fires to the south. Fires to the west.

"No danger with drought." Stupid, huh.

Ugh! My heart goes out to those who have lost so much this year with the tornadoes, the tsunami, the floods, the fires, the earthquakes. To have lost homes, possessions, pictures, family members....so tragic. I can't even imagine how that feels.

I pray. I pray for the children, that they can find peace and comfort. I pray for families, that they can be strengthened through trials. I pray for the animals who have also lost their homes. I pray for those rescuers, both professionals and those with arms stretched out to those in need.

Mostly, though, I pray that all of this tragedy will turn us to God. All of us: the good, the bad and the ugly....and I am not telling you which one I am. If struggles like these don't turn us to God, it will only turn us into bitter. And what good is that!?!

In the end, it really doesn't matter where you live...as long as God is close, all is well.

 He didn't say easy, just well.

8 comments:

Gabe said...

beautiful post, Stef. . .

Indeed he did not say easy. . .

Unknown said...

Amen

Susan Anderson said...

Wise words.

Thanks for sharing them.

=)

CB said...

Yes. It has been quite a year of natural disasters.
I was born in raised in California and so I can handle the earthquake thing but I always thought I never want to live where there are tornado's. I guess you learn to deal with what you have.
It is definately never easy.

Anonymous said...

Very well said. Eveyone seems to be effected by some kind of weather this summer.

Juli said...

Love this. :)

I have a friend who moved to argentina to be with her husband's family.

They just started builing their new house and the volcano blew in Chile. There's ash everywhere, the yard, their well, covering their new foundation.

Seems ash freezes solid like ice after it falls. :(

No matter where you live, it's always something.

jen said...

I thought the exact same thing about the west until this summer. Hopefully we won't all be caught in it when it's over. But fire season is only 1/3 over . . .

The Farm-Marm said...

beautifully put. Thanks. i was just whining recently about living here in the mid south. too much humidity. my hair is a mess! but i have lived in ca and been through earthquakes and fires. i missed the big northridge earthquake by a few months! lived in ut and dealt with drought. live now in tn and deal with drought and tornandoes. not to mention the floods last year.
you're right, it doesn't matter where you live. Stay close to God and you'll be where you need to be.