Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So I Married a Deaf Man: Move along!

Sometimes the fun of doing the thing is hearing the thing.

Like screaming. What's the point of doing it if you can't hear it? Think about it.

This is apparently also true of honking the horn. Hubs refuses to do it. No amount of encouragement from me will sway him.

Don't misunderstand. I am not heavy on the horn in the least. However, there are times when the horn comes in handy. Like when you are late to work and the person in front of you is texting and the turning arrow has been green for a good 5 seconds. A short honk fixes the problem.

Or when someone is about to cut you off on a freeway and could quite possibly send you in to a spinning teacup if they aren't careful. HONK! will make the person look twice. Or at least swerve back into their lane.

I don't think in the almost 13 years of being married to this guy, has he ever honked the horn at someone he didn't know.

He has absolutely no problem honking it when I am unsuspectingly walking in front of the car. He honks and I jump about 7 feet in the air. No problem honking then.  Or when I am late for church (which is every week). Honk honk honk. No wait, that would be my children, not my husband.

But the minute he puts the car in gear, the horn becomes off limits.

People don't hold back for him. Oh no! I can't tell you how many times he has been honked at. And I can only tell you about the times I was in the car to tell him. He just laughs. I do too, to be honest. If they only knew that they were honking and carrying on to someone who can't hear a dang thing...I bet they would feel stupid.

Nope. Hubs doesn't honk the horn. Like I said, the fun of doing the thing is hearing the thing.

And that is why they should put horns on the passenger side.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you should get your own horn. JDaniel would like one in the backseat for his use too.

Kerri said...

That is funny Stef. I like to honk from the passenger side when my hubby walks in front of the van...gets him everytime! Your husband sounds like such a nice guy...and laid back!

The Crazy Coxes said...

I NEVER honk the horn. Okay, maybe not ever. I've probably used the horn three times in my life. I"m with hubs. I don't know why I am horn averse.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

u ever seen that episode of 'still standing' when the dad is teaching brian to drive and brian always leaves the blinker on...and it drives his father crazy? it always makes me think of you. granted bill and brian aren't deaf...but it makes me think that could be u and hubs in the car(sadly we dvr'd all the episodes of that show)

Susan Anderson said...

You know how much I love reading these "So I Married a Deaf Man" posts of yours.

They are both funny and fascinating. A great combo!

=)

Mary said...

Maybe you could get an air horn for the passenger side. Roll the window down and let 'er rip! :D

Jenny said...

I think you need your very own horn, too.

What a funny post. Definitely something I would never have thought about.

Unknown said...

Too funny :) I would love to have my own horn too because Jason's a non-honker just like your hubs. Of course, neither of us drive these days but I can still go for a horn just to honk at all those annoying commuters :)

KAM Chapman said...

Too funny. You need one of those little black rubber horns! I used to use my horn, then I switched cars. Now I can never find where the dang thing gets pushed until after I don't need to honk anymore!