I have.
Normally I am an easy going, go with the flow type gal. I don't really freak out much, though my kids would disagree. If anything, I cry a little more around that time of the month. But in general, I'm pretty predictable.
Unless I've just had a baby. Then all bets are off.
The sad part is that it usually spills out all over my mother-in-law. Not because I don't love my mother-in-law, because I do. Dearly. It's because my mom comes right after the baby is born when I am still on the just-had-a-baby emotional high. And then Hubs' mom comes during the emotional crash and burn.
So sorry, Mom!
The worst time, though, was with my first. You know how you are with your first. You want to do everything. You want to hold them when they cry. You want to change their cute yellow poop. You want to bath them. I was no different.
Well, the day before my mom left, I woke up in the middle of the night shivering. I couldn't get warm. It was obvious to my mom that I had a fever. At that point, nothing was obvious to me other than I was really, really tired and in pain all over and couldn't stop shaking.
Come to find out I had a UTI. Those are fun.
Well, now everyone was worrying and trying to take care of me: having me rest, taking the baby whenever he cried, etc. But I didn't want to sleep. I wanted to be the mom, not the invalid. Yes, I would have given an arm and a leg
The more his mom helped, the more resentful I became. He'd cry, she would pick him up. Grrrrr. I would nurse him, she would burp him. Grrrrr. She would rock him to sleep, I would watch. Grrrr Grrr Grrrrr! (See, irrational.)
One evening, Hubs and his mom were getting ready to go shopping (Hubs loves to shop...girl!) and I was lying down on a bed in the living room with Kobe cuddled up close to me. My mother-in-law offered to put Kobe in the crib so that I could sleep without worrying about rolling over on him.
I was so upset. Mostly inside myself. I really am a wimp when it comes to conflict. But I wrapped my arms around my baby and snapped back, "We are fine. He is fine. We are going to be fine. Just go."
The minute they walked out the door I cried. And then cried some more. Then I pouted. Aaand cried some more. I did eventually move him because I was so tired and didn't want to kill him in my sleep.
Looking back, it was such a blessing to have her there at that time. Looking back, I can't believe that she still loves me, regardless of my post partum problems.
Thank goodness there were no hot flashes.
Have you ever gone hormonal on someone?
Linking up with ABC Thursday and Writer's Workshop.
21 comments:
That was a great post! I think I've had too many moments like that at the beginning, during & after a pregnancy. It is funny, when I think back. Some of the things are so ridiculous. I could totally envision what you were going through.
You're absolutely spot on with this! New mums don't do 'rational' - but then why should we ;)
I go hormonal on my hubby every month. God bless him for being so patient with me. I seem to think, it's worse with the MIL. Because you can't really express your true feelings like how you can with your own mother. Visiting from Alphabe Thursday.
Great Post! You are blessed!
Oh, I enjoyed your post!! I can't think of a "gone hormonal" moment right now (I am sure if hubs were up he would be glad to refresh my memory!!). But I know what you mean about wanting the baby right with you - for me the biggest luxury was getting to hold them etc as much as possible, not being "relieved" of them. :-)
Sorry to say yes, I go hormonal a good bit, this was great "I" word.I can relate.
I'm visiting from Alphabe Thursday!
Come see me I've " I "mprovised and having my first giveaway!
~Jo
LazyonLoblolly
I was exactly the same way with my first! I was all "get your hands off MY baby!"
We've all done it, at one time or another.
And I was very proprietary with my first baby. By the last one, I had learned my lesson!
;)
Yes, I can relate...I didn't want anyone touching my babies after they were born...we mama bears have to protect our cubs!
oh, hormones. you gotta love them. NOT!!!!
I did the SAME thing. Only Brianna would not go to anyone else AT ALL--so my poor MIL was kinda out of the loop. For my 2nd, I BEGGED her to fly and help me because I was working (couldn't take a break from my at home job) and hubby went back to work and I could.not.function. But there she was, offering to take him at night and I was like "no--go do something else." It's that mother's love, hormones, and lack of sleep for sure that makes us CRAZY.
amazing.
everything will work out just fine.
bless you.
Oh dear, I'm reading this and thinking about my daughter who is soon to have a little one. She wants my help, and I will do my best to not to overdo and allow her those special moments that she will want with her baby. You just may have provided some good advice.
Honey Child I know of what you speak. I think it is an amazing testiment to the Power Of Love that our husbands, kids and others could still love us and want to be around us after a horomonal outburst.
You are not alone!! Now that I am older it doesn't happen but when I was younger watch out!! Ha ha
So true! Hubby says I'm pretty scary each month, but that's nothing compared to right after each of my two kids was born. I probably could have committed murder and gotten off on insanity! You sound very normal to me.
Ummm...yes...and I'll leave it at that. (I am over 50, after all!)
What me? NEVER.
(Can you hear that? It's Almost Hubs laughing hysterically over my answer in the back ground. Really... I think he's gonna pee himself.)
I may have been hormonal once or twice in my life. ;)
Loved this post...now I know you're normal! Phew!
No, I just go postal for no reason. :) I enjoyed your post. We've all had moments like that.
With my first child I remember the pediatrician telling me not to use well water. We lived with my in-laws and since their home was in the country they had a well. One day my daughter's pacifer dropped on the floor and my Mother-in-law rinsed it off with well water instead of bottled water. I flipped out. Looking back it's pretty funny, but at the time I was just a hysterical hormal new mom.
You.
I was right there with you. Laughing and crying.
What an amazing writer you are!
Hormones. Not just for sissies anymore!
Thanks for a great link this week.
A+
Post a Comment