Wednesday, April 27, 2011

So I Married a Deaf Man: Aren't you worried???

I'm going out of town tomorrow. By myself. For 3 days.

There will be no going to bed early and sleeping in. Nope. My sisters will be there and you can bet we will have many-a-late night and plenty of bookstore fudge and giggling and BYU Creamery. Oh, yes. I am so there.

What about the kids? Who's going to watch the kids?

That would be their father. And he isn't watching them, he is raising them. Key word being father. Just wanted to make that clear.

I have been asked before, "Do you get worried when you leave your children home alone with Hubs?"

"Ummm. What do you mean?" I ask.

"You know. With him being Deaf? Do you ever worry that something is going to...happen?"

Well, no. Not at all. And here are some of the reasons.

First, my kids can all sign before they can speak. This means that they are able to communicate in Hubs' language first. If something happens while I am away, they can tell him. In his language.

Secondly, there are plenty of children running around in my house. If someone is crying, you can bet someone else is going to tell. Believe me, my children are experts tattlers.

Thirdly, Hubs is usually pretty attentive to our children. I say usually because there was that one time when I went out with my friends and he was home with a friend and the children, and I came home to permanent marker all over the furniture, floor and computer monitor. But typically he is pretty attentive.

Fourthly, they are his children too. If he wasn't capable of taking care of children, we wouldn't have had them. He loves them like I do. He cares for them like I do. He knows our budget like I do and he knows we can't afford an emergency room visit anytime soon.

Fiftly, he is a good man, who strives to have the Spirit with him always. There have been times when he has felt prompted to check on one of our little ones and was able to rescue them from some hairy situations. He is a good man, indeed.

And fifthly, accidents happen. They happen whether you are a mom or a dad; whether you are in the room with them or not; whether you can hear or not. Kids are kids.

And a mom has got to live.

So, does letting Hubs be a dad scare me? Nope. Not at all. Not in the least.

A better question would be, does it scare him?!

15 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

Don't you love it when people say men are 'babysitting' when it's their own kids?! My husband doesn't even call it babysitting when it's my kids (his stepkids).
Hope you have fun!

Amy said...

Love the last comment!

Kerri said...

I like the last question better too! I have to say...that first question would make me a little (ok a lot) mad if someone asked me that...especially if my husband was deaf. I guess people sometimes just don't know any better...but it would still make me mad and want to put them in their place!
Have an AWESOME time with your sisters!!

Juli said...

THREE days?

I am so jealous. :) Almost Hubs is not their father, yet has offered to watch them if I want to go to BlogHer... which we also can't afford.

I am also marring a good man.

(Their biological father would never take them for two days. Well, he would, but in the past the kids have called crying after about 4 hours that they want to come home, and that ended overnights with him)

Unknown said...

Yep my hubby is the same way. he gets frustrated when people assume he is not capable of caring for them. Of course there is his little issue with dozing off ahem coff coff

jsturner1 said...

Girls trip!!!!! Love it! I leave May 11th for my girls trip to SF. Am I scared, of course!!! But they were all still alive last time I left, so I think we'll be ok!

The Crazy Coxes said...

Oh you are going to have SO MUCH FUN! Enjoy!!!!! I love it when women leave their kids with their husbands and their husbands freak out like, "What am *I* supposed to do with them ALL DAY!"

Susan Anderson said...

There's nothing better than time alone with sisters. You are going to have a ball!

And I love your last line in this post. You are such a clever girl.

=)

CB said...

Your last comment says it all - i think we all need to be more worried about the husband - ha ha!
Hope you have a GREAT time!!
Mom's definately DO need to get away and rock and roll :-D

Queen Mahin said...

Well, Dysfunctional Mom said it best... Nobody ever says "watching the kids" when it's the mom who is doing it. Hope you have a fun trip.
By the way... I've gotten behind on my blog reading, so I'm catching up now, but I'm surpised to see your jelly bean background. Didn't you say that jelly beans give you the heebie jeebies?

jen said...

You're at Women's Conference? LUCKY!!!!! I wanted to go SO bad, but with the baby and the missionary, there was no way. Eat a mint brownie for me. Please?

Teachinfourth said...

You were at Women's Conference?

I wasn't...

But it was in my town.

Anonymous said...

Love Women's Conference! I hope you had fun.

Carrie said...

People say the darndest things ;)

I LOVE it when women ask if my husband will babysit. Uhm...NO.

GREAT post, and I hope the conference was grand!

Rheanna Bristol said...

What an awesome post. I know I have been a horrible blog friend, but just reading over your posts. I totally feel like I know you.
I know! Crazy Stalker Here I come!!
I missed ya...gonna go read more...