Monday, April 25, 2011

Trip Tips

We had a great trip. We saw so many good friends, the weather was kind to us and no-one died of boredom, though after about 4 hours in the car, my daughter claimed to be on the brink. She has since recovered, in case you were wondering.

Because I am a giver, I am going to share a few tips with you on how to make your next trip amazing!

Make sure that Hubs the driver ignores the gas light until you are in the middle of no-where with no gas station in sight. That is sure to make me the passenger freak out and have a really great time. Then, just when divorce is eminent, you spot a Chevron sign. Marriage saved.

Play chicken with an elk.

Make sure your exhausted Hubs drives until he is crossing that middle line. Then, when he finally lets you switch places, make sure he forgets to put the car in park. Just for fun.

Make sure that you are visiting good friends. You know, the kind who will kick their kids out their beds for you. The kind who will feed all seven of you without blinking an eye. The kind who won't complain about hearing your children wailing at 2am. Start there.

Make sure that no matter where you go, you are late. Because that just make people love you more. And my friends really love me.

Make sure to get to the Easter Pageant 2 hours early so that you can sit on the grass and instead of seeing the stage, you can see a tree. A very nice tree. Big....large branches...big.

It would probably help if your two year old had a temperature of 102+ every morning when he woke up. Oh, and if you would like to add more enjoyment, make sure that you carry said two year old everywhere you go. And I do mean everywhere.

And, to make it the best trip ever, have your sick 2 year old throw-up the first 20 minutes of the drive home, making sure that he throws up on your germ-a-phobic-ultra-sensitive-to-smell-almost-teenager. It makes for a super duper ride home!

And that, my friends, is my advice for having a great trip.

Worked for us!

7 comments:

Kerri said...

Oh my goodness! I think I will settle for a little less excitement!! I hope your little guy wasn't sick the entire ride home?

Teachinfourth said...

Trip? I'd call this an adventure!

Susan Anderson said...

Excellent travel techniques you have there...

;)

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

(covers eyes)

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

You have a winning recipe here. I unfortunately am very bad at taking advice so I'll just have to take your word for it when we go on our next trip.
Dana

Juli said...

Now, I am totally rethinking the summer road trip this year.

Super-Duper. :)

Unknown said...

See? This is why we decided that we're not traveling anywhere far anymore. We don't have the car rides since we need to use planes but plane rides are just as fun as car rides. Plus, you get the added bonus of being stuck in that same small space for hours upon hours!

Eh, as Jason puts it, Traveling is overrated. If people miss us, *they* should fly to Japan to visit us :)