What!?? Stef! Re-gifting????
It's true. I am re-gifting you this post because I am headed with my family to AZ this afternoon and thought that you would enjoy a little peek into my day. Or at least 6 hours of it.
All I can say is sunflower seeds and a large Diet Coke with extra ice, please!!! Enjoy!
***
A few years ago, we decided to go on a road trip: From Arizona to northern California, to Idaho and then back to Arizona. At the time we had 3 children: 5, 3 and 9 months. The first part of the trip took 12 hours.
Hubs sits down in the driver seat, all buckled up, water in hand, gum in mouth, sunglasses on, ready to leave. I am handing out goody bags, coloring books, crayons, water, etc. Making sure everyone is set to go. In goes the movie and off we go!
The first two hours are great. Then...
"She is touching me!"
"Can you open my water?"
"He is singing too loud!"
"Wahhhhhhh!"
"I can't hear the movie."
"My water spilled."
"Wahhhhh"
"My crayon fell."
"The sun is in my eyes."
"Wahhhhh."
"I can't hold it any longer."
"Wahhhhh."
etc.
This continued for the next 10 hours. My head was about to explode. I would look over, and there was Hubs, eyes ahead, oblivious to what was going on around him. He wasn't annoyed by the constant whining. The fighting didn't even phase him. The baby screaming at the top of his lungs...not even a flinch.
This is what he heard:...............................................................................................................................................
A big fat NOTHING! He would occasionally look over at me, with my hair all a mess, eyes bulging out of their sockets, twitching all the while, and ask, "What's wrong?"
Once we arrived and I had come out of my "special place", no longer in fetal position, we had a blast.
About 5 days later, we loaded up again to head to Idaho. About three hours into this trip, Hubs turns to me and asks if I would drive because he wanted to rest. (Angels singing, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh")
"Are you serious?" I asked, not wanting to get my hopes up. "Scooch over, baby!"
I hop into the driver's seat and start driving. He lays the seat back, closes his eyes and is about to fall into hibernation, when he feels a tap tap taping on his shoulder.
"He can't open his water," I inform him.
Tap, tap, Tap..."Baby is crying."
Tap tap tap... "They are fighting."
Tap, tap, tap..."They need a movie."
Tap tap tap...Tap tap tap...Tap tap tap...Tap tap tap...
About 30 minutes later he turns to me and says, "Can we switch back?"
"Not on your life, Buster! This is the noise that I have been dealing with for 14+ hours. It's all you."
Needless to say, he no longer offers to let me drive on long trips. But he also doesn't ask me "What's wrong?" when I have the permanent twitch on my face either.
***
PS. I actually do get to drive this time. Heehee.
10 comments:
I loved this post the first time you posted it and I still loved it this time. Hope your trip was awesome.
lmbo I can honestly say we took the boys to Virginia Beach last year and it was a 14 hour drive with stops. They did really well thank heavens.
ARGH! We just got back from a road trip. Best of luck in the car!
What a great post. Thanks for the regift!
=)
that was awesome! (the you driving he thought he was getting rest bit)
i do not and i stress do not look forward to driving this summer w/the kids to visit the folks. like ur the first few hrs are bliss and ur thinking 'wow this isn't so bad...they are doing awesome' and as soon as you think that all goes to heck in a handbag
Ha.
We have to drive from Wyoming to Oklahoma over the summer. That's like 12 hours. I'm a little nervous.
Enjoy your destination. The drive will be worth I hope?
Dana
Have a great trip!
Just one of the many benefits of travel with family.
Love it! Ear plugs for my next road trip!
Post a Comment