Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Step away from the Windex....

Smudges.

Evidence that children fill my house. Evidence that most of my time is spent with my children. Making their hands dirty. Evidence that I am a little more casual about cleaning their hands after I spend time with them.

Smudges. All over my sliding glass window.

Evidence that my children love to play in my back yard. On the trampoline. On the swings. In the sandbox. On the grass. In the trees. Occasionally stepping in some of Rufus' love notes. Slipping and sliding. Shooting hoops and riding bikes. Picking greenish tomatoes and blooming flowers.

Smudges on the inside. Smudges on the outside.

I should wipe them off. Most people do. My wonderful mother-in-law almost did once but quickly decided not to because she was afraid my kids might think the door was open and may result in a trip to the Urgent Care. Good call.

Smudges. The marks my children have made on my life.

Smudges on the inside. Smudges on the outside.

Evidence of the impact they have made on my life. Anticipation. Pain. Love. Happiness. Frustration. Excitement. Pride. Embarrassment. Laughter. Complete joy.

Yeah, I know my window is dirty.

So if you will excuse me, I have some smudges to play with!

8 comments:

Kerri said...

So cute Stef! I'm always amazed by your writing! Many of your posts could probably sent in and published somewhere...I'm sure!

Have a great day!

Mary said...

In my house, it's not so much the boys anymore, it's the dogs. They'll just come back after you clean it, so why clean it?

Susan Anderson said...

Love this post. Great analogy.

=)

Unknown said...

perfect

and... what is windex? ;)

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

haha! cute!

i take pictures of mine to always have that moment...

gotta clean b4 the inlaws come every wed...i just don't think they'd get the sweetness of it all!

Juli said...

HA! When my boys used to visit my sister she would run behind them with the windex. Now she has 2 of her own, and the only time her doors get cleaned is when I baby sit and clean them for her. :)

Unknown said...

Isn't there a talk in conference about this?

Unknown said...

Aww, that's sweet. We don't have smudges but we have lots of juice stains on our rugs and furniture (thankfully it's dark blue). Oh and the crumbs. Boy do we have crumbs, even with the vacuuming.