Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It was Nothing....

I was Nothing.

Nothing is what my high school boyfriend used to call me. Doesn't that sound horrible? It wasn't, really. I didn't know he did that until later. Much later. I think the only person who knew I was Nothing was his best friend.

I guess it came in handy when he was talking in code.

Friend: "What's wrong?"
BF: "Nothing."

Dad: "What are you thinking about?"
BF "Nothing."

Me: "What's wrong with you, anyway? Why are acting weird?"
BF: "Oh, it's Nothing."

That's not the only term of endearment associated with me. Nope, I've had a few names throughout my life.

My sisters and childhood friends call me Weffer. I am not really sure where that one came from or why it stuck, but stuck it did. I have heard a few of my niece's and nephews call me Aunt Weffer. Once, my brother-in-law was trying to say, "What's happening Wefffer?" but what came out was, "What's happening. Heifer?"

I don't talk to him anymore.

My dad calls me Fanny. Not to offend any of you Fannys out there, but when I was younger I didn't really like being called a rear end. I didn't care how many Fannies there were out there who loved their names. I was not one of them. Besides, it wasn't my name. Now it is endearing... my dad calling me Fanny.

The interesting thing is, if you take all the nicknames that I have had in my lifetime and put them together you get this:

Nothing but a Cow's Rear end.

Aren't nicknames great!??!!

What is yours?

18 comments:

Diane said...

You're a hoot! And I mean that in a good way, honest.
My dad called me little looper when I was little (something to do with baseball) and my friends called me Miss Love in high school but only because it was short for my last name.
Yeah, these aren't nearly as fun to talk about as yours! ;)

Kerri said...

You are so funny Stef! He really called you Nothing?! Hope you didn't date him too long! :)

Kyla said...

So, since I went to H.S. with you, who was it??:) My favorite nickname was Bunga. I used to think they were saying my name on cartoons when they said Kawabunga! So I asked my parents if that was my middle name and they thought it was funny so they started calling me that.

Tim and Sara said...

Snookie. My dad still calls me that too sometimes. Then poor Lily got the nickname "Beanie" because we called her Baby Bean until we found out we were having a girl (all those pregnancy books and their food comparisons to the size of your fetus).

Lisa said...

Hahahahaha!!! Mine were very pathetic, compared to your rump names. I was Mood, because I spelled my last name wrong~Wood. And Relissa, because my Aunt called me Lisa Relissa...so I told everyone my middle name was Relissa, since I didn't really have one. My teacher looked at me funny. See? Nothing cool compared to you, Fanny Hef.

Unknown said...

Lol oh my! You poor thing! Nothing like alot of bad memories!

I honestly have never really even had nicknames....not that I can recall. I guess my mom has always called me "bug" because when I was a baby, my head was big & my body was little! hahaha

Susan Anderson said...

My husband calls me Suzy sometimes, which I much prefer to my mother's old name for me.

Soupy Jo, if you can believe it.

ugh

"/

The Crazy Coxes said...

Yeah - I would ditch those nicknames too! We didn't really do nicknames when I was growing up. I call my kids all kinds of names.....I mean good names of course!

NatureGirl said...

My name is Leslie, but I could not say my 's' sound so it came out Leli (like Jelly) I will be 41 next month and I am still Leli...

Unknown said...

Oh my! That is so funny, but tragic, but funny!

Unknown said...

PS my son things nothing is candy.

"What are you eating mom?"

"Nothing."

"I wan't nothing."

Unknown said...

I needed a good laugh today... thanks for sacrificing and sharing your tragedy for my laugh!

jordan and tyrell said...

i have had a million. the main one is googala, which produced a variety of derivatives: goog, googie, gogz, gogzaluna, googalasmoogala. i also remember your sisters, and possible you, calling me doodan. ryan brower calls me jorgasmorg. we were definatly a nickname family.

CB said...

That was hilarious!

I was shooby-doo and frogdog. I don't think I really liked the last one but I can do this thing with my face - I know a little scary! Ha Ha

P.S. I am glad you got rid of the loser boyfriend :-D

paige said...

That's very clever, Stef. Love it! I have lots of nicknames, but all of the ones that I've heard are nice. Ladybug, sunshine, princess (that's a current one). You know, cheesy stuff. :)

BJC said...

hi stef...i had to laugh at this. i think i have heard you called a couple of those by your family. i also think i know who called you nothing and i'm pretty sure it was a term of endearment from someone who is still a dear friend...but i could be wrong. how are you? sounds as though you are enjoying life.

Unknown said...

You are too funny! Love that final conclusion you came up with at the end. I've only been called Jen by everyone I know. Well my grandmother still calls me "BB" since I was the first grandchild. It's probably my only favorite nickname :)

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I've never had one, but always wanted one. OK thats not true an old boyfriend, once called me Red, I loved it. But not enough to not break up with him. So he only used the endearment once.