Monday, December 6, 2010

Justice and Mercy

I love my third child.

He is the child who forces me to my knees every morning and every night. And several time in between.

He is wonderful...in a strong willed, extremely passionate, intense kind of way.

It's how he came. See what I mean, wonderful!

The other day, he comes down the stairs in his PJ's otherwise known as my T-shirt. He plunks himself down in the middle of the floor and announces, "I'm not going to school today."

"No? Really? Are you sure?"

"Nope. I'm not gonna. I won't go."

I could lie and say that I was very patient and took the time to sit next to him and find out why he was feeling like he hated school. Unfortunately, I had worked until midnight the previous night and had woken up with two little boys who were more interested in eating goldfish at 2am than sleeping. I slept in...by 20 minutes.

Needless to say we were running a little late. Quite late, actually, which may or may not have caused me to be somewhat of a meanie.

"Son, you are going to school. Now, you can either go mad and in your pj's and then have to explain to your friends and you teacher why you are wearing your mom's clothes, OR you can go to  school angry if you like or happy if you choose, but in your clothes. It is up to you. But you will go to school today."

I thought those were good options.

In walks Mercy. My kids call him Daddy.

He calls said son into the other room and comes up with a plan. More like a conspiracy.

The next thing I know Mr. T-shirt is running upstairs getting his clothes on. I could have sworn he was smiling, too. Hubs comes to me with a paper and his plan.

"If he gets up, gets dressed, and goes to school for 3 days in a row, then on Saturday you get to take him to Dairy Queen. Alone."

What the... What are we teaching here?

1. He learns refusing to go to school will result in a blizzard at the end of the week.

2. Daddy wants to sabotage Mommy's diet.

3. Mommy is a meanie. Daddy rocks!

3. Protesting kids will be rewarded. So next Monday, all my kids will be standing outside my garage holding up a big sign with big red letters saying, "Shame on Mommy! She makes us go to school...every day...in our clothes!!!"

But the lesson that was really learned that day?

Sometimes it is worth taking the time to sit down with your child and find out why they don't want to go to school.

They may just want some time with Meanie Mommy.

Whoever said Hubs couldn't hear never checked out his heart.

Mercy indeed.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

whoopsie. but hun you are hands full and understandable why it would be easy to say what you did. I have done the same thing.. but the blizzard ummyeah rewarding that behavior is blackmail and conspiracy I tell ya

Unknown said...

Awww, well you *were* tired and not in the best of mood otherwise you would have sat down and talked with him, right? Well at least you'll get to spend some quality time alone with third child this Saturday. Even if you had to be the bad guy this morning and your husband ended up having to bribe your son.

Jenny said...

I loved this story. Your humor is wonderful...your message is heart warming.

Thank you.

Unknown said...

I love this post! so thankful for the mercy shown in my life but I'm not good at showing it to my kids... thanks for the reminder!

The Crazy Coxes said...

So sweet! Don't feel bad. I'm definitely meanie mommy!

jsturner1 said...

Oh Stef! I used to have to bribe Alyssa all the time. Each child picks a different battle. What's next weeks bribe?????

Susan Anderson said...

You are funny and wise. A good combination!

=)

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

i just cried...laughter and that's me....

i hear ya momma...no telling how many kids will be boycotting school...but then again i guess they all want a piece of us! :o)

enjoy the blizzard...i'd like heath bar please

Juli said...

I make deals with my kids all the time. I would have no sanity otherwise. May make me a bad parent, but it's just what gets me through the day.

Bastian Family said...

i think we fight daily....if it isn't about what to eat, it is what clothes to wear or when to get up. dad comes in and smooths things over...he is the "hero" mom is the grouch.

Teachinfourth said...

Bring a teacher…I love this post. I imagine the reason he didn't want to go to school is because he wanted to really be with you, that's why the prospect of going to Dairy Queen alone with you was such a great reward.

You should feel flattered.