Friday, December 31, 2010

Take cover!!

Sheets.

We all have them, but never talk about them. At least I don't. But maybe we should. Here. Now. Go!

I don't pay attention to the "thread count" of my sheets. I don't really know what thread counts means exactly. Maybe it means how many threads there are in the fabric itself? Or maybe it means how many threads were used to sew around the edges? And who exactly is counting them? What if they are lying.
I'm sure I could google it, but honestly, I don't really think about it. And really, don't care. The horror. Yes, I know. I know.

Guess what else.

I heard someone talking the other day. She mentioned that she irons her sheets. What the....? Seriously? I rarely iron my husband's shirts, much less our sheets. That just seems like a waste of time if you ask me. You are just going to sleep in them.

Plus my bottom sheet is always super wrinkly because I never know how to fold it the right way. There has got to be a trick to do it. Maybe once every 3 months I can get it to look right. But most of the time it just looks like I simply rolled it up and called it quits. That is exactly what I did. I would never do that.

No, wait. Yes I would. I wouldn't iron it. Heck no!

My sheets don't always match. Kids don't care. I don't care. Hubs doesn't care.

They are sheets, people.

I will say this, though. I must have a bottom and a top sheet. Something about crawling into a bed that has a cool sheet on both the bottom and the top. And nothing more annoying than a Hubs who likes to sleep on top of the top sheet. Ugh!

Oh, and I hate it when the bottom sheet comes loose in the middle of the night and I wake up to an uncovered corner. When that happens, I can't go back to sleep because I can't stop thinking about the uncovered corner. And I can't really fix it without waking Hubs. That is less of a problem when you have deep cornered sheets, but still pops up once and a while.

Sheets make good tents. Large, but not heavy. They allow the perfect amount of light to come through and yet provide a great shelter. They also make good pretend carpet when playing house...or so I've been told.

Sheets...

...tell me about yours.

12 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Sue's sheet run-down:

I never used to care about the thread count. Then someone gave me sheets with a high thread count. Now I care.

I fold the same way you do.
I don't iron shirts, much less sheets.
They do have to match, though...
And I HATE when the corner comes loose.

=)

Jenny said...

You're a nut!

Here's the trick with bottom sheets.

Wash, dry, put back on the bed.

Works like a charm!

Unknown said...

I have the cheapest flannel sheets from Target; I get them when they go on sale for $16 (for a king set). I love them because they keep me warm. What else do I need?

And who irons?

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Hey there! I hope you know that I'm not ignoring all your fun comments on my blog which I have been thoroughly enjoying. My husband just hates it when I give my computer attention than I give him.

Men, so sensitive. :D

I love your blog though!

As for sheets, all I know is use to house clean for a lady who had a very specific way that I HAD to fold her sheets so that her fitted sheets folded into a perfect square and everything in her closet was folded exactly the same size and everything looked perfect.

Talk about horror!!

Obviously, she didn't have kids.

Oh, and I never iron anything unless absolutely necessary. I just pull everything out the dryer and hang it up really fast.

Works for me!

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about my sheets except that I change them frequently and they fit or beds lol. Happy New Year

Jen Kesler said...

I think you and I have a lot of twin like qualities. Yes, Shaun's shirts rarely ever get ironed, why would I iron sheets?

HOWEVER, I recently purchased some 400 and 600 thread count sheets (on clearance at Costco of course) and they are HEAVENLY! Ahhh...makes me want to take a nap!

Lisa said...

Okay, so thread count matters only when you can afford more expensive sheets. Until then, it is what it is. About the folding? Wad, wad, wad, shove into the linen closet, only to see the light of day once a week on changing day. So with you on that.

Juli said...

OK... let me educate... thread count is the # of threads per square inch in the weave of the fabric (How's that for my $20K design degree education?)

As for folding... roll and shove into the closet. Or even better? roll up and put under the pillows :)

Cori White said...

i got new sheets for Christmas. blades said he got a good deal.. usually they are pricey..
i love clean sheets.. getting into a nicely made bed makes my heart happy...
Oprah changes her sheets every day.. me not that often although if i had that many sheets and someone to make my bed everyday I would totally do it...
thread count.. i have no clue.. if they are a good deal thats what matters..
forts with sheets are the best..
and tell hubs he's wierd for sleeping on the top of the top sheet???

Rheanna Bristol said...

IT must be a husband thing! He never cares about the top sheet and I go crazy without it! Drives me nuts!
I am with you on the whole perception of this post. So well said.
I have to say, though, that my husband freaks out on less than 500 count sheets. He says there too scratchy. I think it's rather an unfair opinion of someone who could care less if they have a top sheet or not.
I did work at a Bed and Breakfast once for a summer though, and I learned a really cool way to bundle all sheets together, nice a folded professional like. But I don't do that at home.
And Ironing sheets?? Forgive me, but I'd rather have a pap smear!

Miss ya! Thanks for the fun!

Kerri said...

I have never had expensive sheets...so I guess I don't know what I'm missing! And I'm with you...if a corner comes undone in the middle of the night, I have to fix it. Actually after I got married I never put the top sheet on the bed b/c I hated when hubby's feet would untuck them. It was only a couple of years ago I thought I would give it a try again!

Mary said...

CH used to work for Springs (textile company), so I got very spoiled with good sheets. If the corners are coming up, you need better sheets!
As for the ironing sheets and the sheets not matching: who looks at your sheets anyway? I can't believe some people have time on their hands to iron their sheets. My idea of ironing is throwing the shirt/pants back in the dryer for a few minutes!