Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Just forget it

My wedding day. The birth of my first child. Graduation. Losing 10 pounds. All great days that are worthy of a scrapbook page. Too bad I don't do that.

However, today I thought I would mention the un-memories. You know, moments I do not wish relive.  Ever.

"I'm sorry. You aren't going to be able to get an epidural this time."

The time I went to change lanes on that 6 lane freeway and got hit by a semi, and did a 360 right into the divider.

Pretty much the whole year after my 4th child was born. Depression hurts everyone. Really.

The time I was in the sun all day and got burned so bad my skin felt like leather and I felt like a lizard. And itchy itchy lizard.  

Last week when my middle child told me he hated me. Sigh.

Sitting on that curling iron.

Falling down and scraping off a layer of skin from both my shins and knees and forearms the morning our softball team left for state. What's worse is that I was the catcher. Ouch!!

That first year of marriage. Don't misunderstand. I loved being in love. But men are so different. Learning to live with one was tough. Lots of tears. Glad we made it through. Still married. But you couldn't pay me to go back.

The time my son threw up 15 times, in the car, on the 6 hour drive to my parents' house. Then had acidic diarrhea the whole way back. Could have done without that trip for sure.

This morning at 2am when my 2 year old son called me "Meanie!" for not giving him Goldfish. It was 2AM!!!

The 2 hours that we thought Mom was lost on the side of the road somewhere. But really she was asleep in her room.

Seeing my child under our fallen piano. Please, never again!

Some things are only meant to be experienced once.

Because once is enough.


Thanks Mama Kat and Jenny. Check 'em out.

29 comments:

Jackie said...

No kidding! Those are some once-is-enough moments. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

UNDER the piano? Holy cow. I can't imagine that story, just glad I didn't have to live it.

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

A great use of the letter "J". Some things are better left un-remembered. But I'm glad for our sake you decided to remember them "Just" one more time.
Always a treat!
Dana

Unknown said...

oh all of those sound awful I am so sorry!

Susan Anderson said...

Sheesh. That's for sure. Some of that stuff sounded pretty hairy!

"/

Amanda Lee said...

We all have those moments, don't we? Although, maybe I'm strange, but I wanted to relish every moment of delivering my babes, and did not want anything that would dull the feeling....

Unknown said...

What an incredible post!
I mean...
I am laughing and crying at the same time!
Under the piano? I am not quite sure I want to know the details of some this memories. Hope it worked out ok.

Here's hoping and wishing that you get through December without more of these once-is-more-than-enough-memories.

Hugs & best wishes,
Anna
Anna's J-post(Jenny)

imbeingheldhostage said...

wow! can't really scrap book those moments, can you :-( I was actually really mulling over that curling iron one, but the fallen piano over shadowed it. Holy cow.

H said...

I'm cringing inside. I would definitely not want to live through some of those experiences!

Theresa Plas said...

Just forget it indeed! Great post! Thanks for sharing your world.

Unknown said...

Oh man, those are some pretty painful things to remember! I totally agree! Those memories are best kept forgotten!

Diane said...

Like the spin you put on this prompt. I didn't choose that prompt because I kept thinking...one moment to relive? just one?
You SAT on a curling iron?! Ouch!

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

dang girl.....
what a great post...i'll have to think...

as for the piano...curling iron...and car wreck....bless you!

Ingrid said...

After having read this, I better stay in bed the whole day, lol!

The Crazy Coxes said...

Hmmm...you got me thinking! And thinking is dangerous! I can't remember very many times that I want to forget. I guess I have forgotten them! Thank goodness! But I LOVED reading about yours! I'm sorry that your embarrassments, difficulties and hardships made me smile! You wanted me to smile. right?

fredamans said...

Sounds like life to me.

Gabe said...

isn't it amazing that it is often easier to remember the "unmemories" wish it weren't so. . .

BTW I totally agree with you on the first year of marriage, way hard!

Unknown said...

hi! I just found your blog- its adorable! :) I am from a family of 5- and I hope to have my OWN family of 4 (or 5) someday too :) Right now we just have 2- and yeah, there are days I swear I'm losing it :)

Anyways, feel free to check out my blog! http://www.ryanashleymaeve.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I won't mind reading your post again, but I wouldn't want you to relive them either.

Bastian Family said...

I remember seeing you on the news with the piano on your kiddo and the amazing strength you had to move it from off of him.
I love your blog Stef.

Bastian Family said...

I remember seeing you on the news with the piano on your kiddo and the amazing strength you had to move it from off of him.
I love your blog Stef.

Judie said...

We are mothers, so we somehow seem to recover and go on to live productive lives. Mainly because WE HAVE NO CHOICE!!!!!

Juli said...

I watched my 8 year old son bolt across a busy Washington DC street as the light turned green. We were all stuck watching him on the other side of 4 lanes. Never. Never. Again.

Unknown said...

Yikes!! Scary stuff right there. Once is definitely enough.

Ames said...

You poor child. You've had your share of terrible moments haven't you? I don't know why, maybe because it has traumatized me , but I always come up with more bad memories than good. I think I better start journaling all the good times or the bad will out weigh the good. Blessings!Ames

Morgan said...

How scary, all of them! I'd never want to relive them again either.

Anonymous said...

Ah, how that posts resonates, I have many 'once only' memories too. It is rather nice to sit on the other side though and think, done that, don't need to do that again :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

Oh! Ouch! Awful! Here's to re-forgetting!

Jenny said...

What a compelling and poignant link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "J".

What memories...I'm glad that you had these only once.

Thanks for linking this week.

It's always a joy to read your posts.

A+