And why is it, that putting a flashlight under one's chin seems to make the story that much more scary? Something about flashlights, darkness and talking quietly.
Wait a second! This sounds oddly familiar. Oh, that's right. I do that every night. Or at least I used to.
I am assuming that the average couple folds back the covers, turns off the lights, climbs into bed and has a little chatter before they actually sleep. I could be wrong.
I wouldn't know. We aren't average, because Hubs is deaf. Lights out and talking becomes a little more complicated.
When Hubs and I were first married, we would pull down the covers, turn off the lights, climb into bed and then we would attempt to have a conversation, Helen Keller style. You know, hands on hands, trying to understand what the other is saying.
Just so you know, I am no Helen Keller.
So we tried having lamps near our beds. This worked okay, but it kinda defeats the purpose of turning out the lights in the first place. Not only that, once the lights were out, I would think of something else that I wanted to say and on came the lights. I am sure that our neighbors were wondering what use we had for a strobe light at 10 or 11 o'clock at night.
The next solution was a flashlight. That's right, we kept a flashlight by the side of our bed so that we could turn on the a smaller, dimmer light to see what needed to be said. It took
The problem was keeping the flashlight from falling. But we managed alright...until we got the iPhone.
Now days, we straighten up the covers (because who am I kidding, the bed was never made), turn off the lights and hop into bed. If we haven't crashed in the first 5 minutes and need to talk, we simply push the flashlight application on the iPhone which is conveniently charging in my iHome alarm clock and voila perfect lighting for bedtime conversation.
Isn't technology wonderful!
No more scary bedtime stories for me.
10 comments:
you are going to write a book someday right?? Because the rest of the world needs to hear this too!
All the things that we hearing people take for granted!
Who knew the bounds of the Iphone advantages?
All of these stories of yours about being married to a deaf man are so interesting to me, and I never would have thought of the issues that come up! There are really some adjustments to be made, aren't there?
I've always thought it was quite amazing that Helen Keller was able to "feel" the signs so well.
=)
Gabe is SO right! You need to write a book!! We'll be first in line for an autographed copy. ; )
So many things I have taken for granted over the years!
~Heidi
I would never have thought of this.
And do I get credit for playing Anne Sullivan in the Miracle Worker? Just asking.
I love this. Really, really love this.
And, yea, love does seem to conquer all.
I love that you can technically say a PHONE helps you to communicate with your husband! It just doesn't seem like that should make sense!
I totally agree with gabe, you need to put all your stories together and turn it into a book one day :) Every time I read one of these stories, I a) feel really grateful that my husband and I can hear b) learn something new about what life is like married to a deaf man and c) realize just how amazing you are for being able to live like that every day for so many years. I know I'd probably go nuts.
By the way, I love using the flashlight feature on the iPhone too. It's a really bright light!
my husband would probably take the batteries out of the flashlight or take the bulb out...b/c i know me...i'd be thinking of something every 2 secs and keep turning the light back on while he was trying to sleep!
What a great solution...technology does come in handy sometimes!!
My husband and I kind of have the same issue...we turn the nightlight on...and once it's off, there's no more talking...unless I try to listen reallly hard...which is a pain!
I just love reading your posts :o)
Post a Comment