Don't hate me. I don't like cats. No, I really really don't like cats.
I don't hate them. I do try and avoid them with my car when they are crossing the street. I have nothing against people who own and love them. It's just a personal thing.
I think it comes from my childhood. Growing up, we always had either a dog or a cat and most the time we had both.
My first memory of a cat was Midnight. That was his name. He was a black cat with mean eyes. I was really little when we had him. I remember waking up in the middle of the night because I had fallen asleep with orange Trident gum and it was all over.
As I walked down the hall to my parents room I was cornered by Midnight. He was in the middle of the hall, and his eyes seemed to say to me, "Where do you think you're going? Not down my hall. Not now. Not EVER!!!" What he really said was, "Hssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!"
I sat down and began to bawl. Then Mom came and saved me. I think my dislike for cats started there.
Our next cats were Phoebe and Gray
We originally thought that Phoebe was a girl. We were wrong. Though, in the end, he did prefer the..uh...company of male cats. I guess we got the name right. It drove me crazy how this cat would rub up against my leg and try and sit on my head when I was trying to sleep. He just gave me the creeps. Plus he threw up a lot.
Gray was a good cat. Though he did like to fight other cats. This is probably why he was a little jittery. One day, my sister was walking to a friends house. For some reason, she was carrying him in her arms and their dog barked at him. He jumped onto my sister's head a proceeded to sink his claws into her brain.
The last cat we had was called Kitty. (We weren't so great at naming our pets, as you can tell.) This cat was spastic. I am not kidding. One minute you would be petting him and he was fully enjoying himself. The next minute he would start attacking you: scratching, pouncing, hissing. It was scary...really.
And so, my blogging friends, this is why I have an aversion to cats.
So when my daughter came up to me the other day and asked me, "Mom! When am I ever going to get a cat?", my answer was, "Never. Not ever. Not in this house."
And when she asked, "Why not?"
Of course my response was, "Daddy's allergic."
**He really is...I promise.
13 comments:
I'm right there with you. I don't like cats either... They are so unfriendly and they walk all over the place. I am totally a dog person! They are so much more affectionate and loveable! : )
-http://leahainla.blogspot.com/
My family thinks I'm allergic too! ;)
I really *am* allergic. I didn't used to be. It's all the fault of my now 16 year old son. Before I had him, I was fine! "Hormones" apparently.
Though I have always preferred dogs :)
I'm with you on this one, I'm afraid. Our cat used to live inside...until I arrived. I just don't want anything to live in the house that has to also poop in my kitchen. Our cat is sweet and wonderful and the best cat I've ever had, but after her - NO MORE. I'm a dog girl myself. :)
Oh, and I had about seven cats called Midnight. Long story. I think I blogged about it once.
I really do not like cats either - but my daughter loves them. She has a vast collection of furry cats and now, yes, she is constantly telling me she wants a pet and of course she wants a cat!
When I was young we had one cat that I did love, but for the most part, I am not a cat person. AND I am allergic to them.
Which is the reason I gave my children for not having them. Allergies. But it wasn't the only reason. Or even the main reason.
;)
As I was reading this, my snotty cat was rubbing up against the computer screen. She must have sensed what you had written. Too bad MY husband isn't allergic. :)
I love your response to her! I lie all of the time :-)
We have a cat. His name is Sam. His worst quality is that he loves us too much. He hasn't learned that cats are supposed to be independent!
I used to LOVE cats. I grew up with 3 different cats who were so good. They were fluffy and cute and layed on their backs and let you pet their tummies and purred. They were really nice cats.
We have now had the same cat for 15 years. I think it is your Kitty's clone. She lets you pet her and then turns around and bites you. She is now old and crotchety. We have kept her because no one else would want her. But I have to admit that when we go on vacation or something we come back and some one inevitable asks "Is the cat dead yet"?
Ummm... I am allergic... and I was stupid enough to get one. Never, never again. :)
I can't tell you what a relief it was when I found out one of my kids is allergic to dogs and another one is allergic to cats. Hallejah!! I loved animals as a kid. We probably had 20 cats in my childhood, but the coyotes kept eating them. My favorite name was Bob. He was bobcat. But now that I'm the mama, no thanks. I can't even keep plants alive, don't trust me with a mammal.
I don't care much for cats but then again, I don't really like having pets in general. My mom hates animals so we never got a pet. Well we did get a hamster once but that's a story for another day.
Can't blame you for your fear of cats though. I'd probably be in the same boat if I had to deal with those cats :)
Oh my gosh, I love your answer!!! I don't really like cats either. In fact, I truly despise the feral ones in my neighborhood. Always digging up my flowers and crop seedlings in the spring....and using my flowerbeds and raised beds as a giant litter box. Ugh, me no likey the cats.
Post a Comment