I was cornered. At the sink. Doing dishes when he approached me with the seemingly harmless question.
"What happens when you suck your arm really hard?"
"Well, besides hurting yourself it will bruise. Did you try it?"
"No. What is that called?"
"It's called a hickey." I should have seen what was coming at this point. But like I said, I was scrubbing plates and rinsing forks.
"A hickey? Do people give each other hickies?"
"Ummm, well, yes, some people give other hickies." I could now see where this was going. But at that point it was too late to turn back.
"Why? Why would someone give another person a hicky?"
"Well, Kobe, they are either teasing the other person or they got really excited and accidentally kissed too hard and voila: hicky."
"That's weird. Really? Have you ever had a hicky."
At this point I really didn't know if I should continue the conversation. I mean, really, I am married and I have 5 children. Of course I have had one. But does my 10 year old really need to know?
But then I remembered the time when I was about his age...my son's, not my dad's... and I asked my dad if he has ever french kissed my mom. His response, "Stefanie! That is none of your business." I felt a little embarrassed.
"Well, son. Yes, I have had a hicky. But I am married. And sometimes it happens. When you are married, you will understand." And I hope he waits until he is married.
"So you have had a hicky? Where?"
"None-ya!"
"Huh?"
"None-ya business."
How did I do?
14 comments:
Waaay waaay better than I would have. I think I would have said forehead. Think he would've beleived me?
Dana
Perfect. Especially answering vaguely. Or I might have shoved out my forearm, and stayed silent, hoping he mistook it for an answer...even though it was clearly misleading. :)
Ha Haaa! I think I once had that almost exact conversation with my oldest! You done good. ;)
heehee
=D
Ps. Nice job, Mom!
You are SO wise. I would have hid in the closet. Either that or started making out with my husband so that my kiddo would run away. Somehow I think your approach was less traumatizing.
I've heard that when your kid asks you a question you really don't want to answer, turn the tables and ask him why he wants to know.
We've had too many of those conversations at our house!
stuff like that always makes me sweat. i try sooo hard to not show it on the outside and keep the straight face on.
so...where was it? hahahahahaha
OK I am Laughing so hard right now! Greatest convo I have heard with a kid in awhile. Why do they ask this stuff??? SOOOO HIlarious!!!
OMGosh I think you did great!! Although you could have said on your butt and really grossed him out (what? did I just say that :-O)
My kids asked me if I'd ever had sex. My response was "How did you think you got here?" They've asked nothing since. :) -J
hee hee, you always crack me up!
Oh my heavens...I would NOT have been prepared for this! I am cracking up at Dana and Lisa...the forehead and the arm...good one!
Now that I really think about it, I don't think that I've ever had a hickey or given one either. I guess I'm still young so I could still do both... : ) Hmm..
So funny. I think you held out long enough. :)
Oh, too funny! I'd probably tried to distract him before we even got that far into the conversation...or I'd tell him to go ask his dad :) I always send the hard questions to Jason :)
Post a Comment