Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Do Not Enter

Doesn't it seem like your kids really only pay attention to you when you are breaking the rules.

You know, like when you are the one who says, "Shut up!" or when you sneak a piece of candy before dinner and they catch you.

But if it's "Please come do your homework" or "Can you bring me your dirty clothes basket," they tilt their head slightly and ask one another, "Did you hear something? Me either. Keep playing!"

Well, the other morning we were running late. Okay, that could have been any day of the week. But I am speaking of Wednesday in particular. We were running out the door, backpacks bouncing, shoe sparks a-flying, blame echoing through the air. We were L-A-T-E late.

Most schools have a  drop-off area with an entrance and an exit. Ours has one entrance but two exits: one for droppers and another for park and walkers. Ideally, if you are dropping off, you should go in the entrance and if you are leaving, you should go through one of the exits.

As we pull up to the school, it is apparent that we weren't the only ones running late. Lucky for us, no-one was no line to the park and walk exit gate. Lucky for us, there was no on-coming traffic.

Lucky for me, the minute I turned into the exit gate, all three of my kids let out a gasp.

"GASP!!!" Like that.

"Mom!! You aren't supposed to go in this way!!!" she said.

"Yeah! Didn't you see that sign??" he agreed.

"Yeah. Do Not Enter means do not go in!" the second he chided.

Yes, I know. What kind of mother blatantly breaks the law, and in front of her children no less? I'll tell you what kind: this kind.

Confession time. "I know. I totally broke the law. I shouldn't have gone in that way and yet I did. The sign said not to. You are right. You are on time, but you are right. Sorry, folks." 

So what did I learn? I learned that my kids may not listen me, but a sign........

I am seriously considering installing many DO NOT ENTER signs throughout my house.

You know, like on my bathroom door. Oh, and the snack pantry. Umm, their sister's secret candy stash drawer. (Okay, that one is for me.) Definitely the pocket of my purse that houses my gum. My sock drawer. Yes, Son, that is right. Stay out!!!

I'll let you know how that works out.

Next sign: DO NOT LITTER.

Brought to you by the letter D and Jen Matlock.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. I love the sign idea. I think my kids would ignore it if they knew I was the one that posted it though. Oh well. . .
Thanks for an entertaining "D" letter!

Ingrid said...

The first time I went to the states we were looking for an exit sign and all what we saw was "Don't litter the highway", lol !

Write Chick said...

What a great idea. I'm totally posting a 'Do Not Enter' on the bathroom door...when I'm in there. Even though the door is locked my kids just knock and knock.
Kids are so good at selective listening aren't they?
Loved your post. It made me smile. :-)

Erin said...

I am loving this idea! I can't wait to see how it works!

That is a downfall to kids learning to read!

A Dagenham Girl said...

when I see a sign I immediately want to do the opposite - so 'do not enter' means 'come on in'!! lol Judith (Precious Moments)

Lara said...

Perfect! I never thought of leaving signs everywhere.

Unknown said...

That sounds like it would be fun to have around the house....though it would also be as easy to ignore too :) Now, if you had a talking sign that says "Do not enter" when they come within several feet of the sign...that would be interesting. Ooo, maybe add a siren or an alarm. That'll scare them, right?

Anonymous said...

I love your sign idea. My two year old loves to point out Stop signs even if they are faced different directions.

Gabe said...

Oh that is funny. I always think reverse psycology works wonders. . .like DO NOT CLEAN YOUR ROOM. . .or the DO NOT LITTER one covers a mulitude of things like leaving your shoes around, clearing your plate from the table. . .

paige said...

Selective hearing. My mom said I had a case of that for a few years. :)

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

ohhh man little kids are funny like that. wonder if they will obey the sign in the house. ha...who are we kidding?!

Christy said...

My kids bust me all the time too. I think it is part of their genetic makeup. What a fun post.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Yep, been there, done that, got the traffic ticket for it!

Jo said...

lol! good luck with that! it's amazing how kids can always catch us breaking the rules

Kim said...

My Little Ballerina is so bad at going into places she doesn't belong (ie- the Big Ballerina's stuff) that we got the Big Ballerina a safe for Christmas last year. I could have really used your sign idea last Christmas! :)

Funny blog you've got here. Your stories make me laugh. :)

Susan Anderson said...

I like your sign installation plan, Stef. Go with it!

=)

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

What a great post! You made me laugh when you came clean about every day being late. Sorry to have to share this gem with you, but one of my favourite quotes is More is caught than taught. Hope your rule followers keep up the good work and get their mom to turn her rebel ways around.
Dana

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

beautiful word play..
colorful D post.

Judie said...

When our kids were little, my BF and I would give them lunch in the summer and then make them lie down while we got in the pool for two hours of peace and quiet. They always asked why we got to get in and they didn't. We told them that we make the rules. They always rolled their eyes.

Jenny said...

This is a great post. It's the whole 'do as I say, not as I do' thing that we parents are allowed to invoke...why? Because we said so!

CB said...

Ha Ha That is so GREAT!! I totally think kids would respond to big huge signs all over the house. I especially like the idea for the bathroom and the laundry room. You are a genius!
And just FYI I would have done the same thing...they were late for heaven's sakes!

jen said...

They still wouldn't listen to a do not enter sign on the bathroom door. Who are you kidding?

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

oh, I love Don Not Liter!! I need to find me THAT sign.

Tweety said...

hahah okay i was the most rule breaker child at my home so i guess my parents should have tried it. i Liked the post completely :) :)

Susan said...

HA! that is sooo totally correct and cool!
Susan