Thursday, July 1, 2010

Do or do not. There is no try

Try and try again.

Why? Why do we have to try. And then try again. If it doesn't work the first time, why must we keep trying?

We rent. We rent a house with white carpet. In case you have forgotten, I have five children. And a husband. And a dog. That means 8 living things residing in our home. With white carpet. Can you imagine what my carpets look like?

So today, I decided I was going to clean the carpets. My oldest sister kidnapped my two older children who were dying of boredom...I know this because my daughter reminded me every five minutes... and took them to her house where there is a party every night. Apparently the fun never ends there..or so my daughter says. Hubs took the two younger boys to watch a movie and my baby went down for a nap. I rolled up my sleeves, got out the Bissell and started my days work.

Hot water: check. Soap: check. Loud music check. Power button and go!

It was looking nice. I got where the couches has been and all around the perimeter. Then it was time to take it on. You know what I am talking about:  High traffic zone.

I am not a professional carpet cleaner. I only know how to squirt and then suck. and squirt and suck and then do it again. I am not sure that our steam cleaner was up for the challenge. I tried...and tried again...and again...and again. I spent three hours in one room.

It looks better than it did before...a lot better. But it is not quite white. It is white-ish.

My brother.. whose house is apparently more fun than our house, or so my daughter says...has a better shampooer. One that may be up for the high-traffic-zone challenge. But the question is...am I? I am perfectly content to wait until August when there are less people trafficing my carpet. And then I will try.

But for now I have tried.

And I will try again....later.

What have you tried...and then tried again?

4 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Sorry that the white zone is no longer white. I have that same problem with coloring and dirt, but fewer people causing it to happen.

I'm considering just ripping it all out and getting a darker color. Of course, in a rental you probably can't do that...

One Photo said...

I don't understand why the standard issue carpet in all homes is either white, off white or light beige none of which are meant for high traffic areas in homes with kids. I just leave ours until they really really need doing and then get a carpet cleaning company in. If you do five rooms at once they charge $100 and for me, it is worth every penny as I know exactly what my daughter has done with the carpet in her room and our living area :-)

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

Gads,white carpet & kids!
Your post humored me because my hubby says that line in his best Yoda voice.
Fir what it is worth, I do not try. I just start over and "do" it again. ;)
Happy weekend.
`NM

Unknown said...

Ouch, white carpets...and with so many people! I must give you a pat on the back for even attempting to clean them *pat pat*

We don't have carpet but we do have wood floors. I covered a large portion of it with a nice light pink rug since E was starting to drop can food onto the floor, leaving dents (it's probably easier to keep her away from the cans but she always finds a way to them) I try to vacuum and clean it on a regular basis but usually, she goes and makes a mess 10 minutes after I get the room clean. I stopped trying as hard now. As long as there aren't leftover crackers or anything lying out for her to put in her mouth, it's considered clean enough for us :)