Why is it that we get excited about a continental breakfast at a hotel?
I mean, it's not like the food is amazing. It normally consists of muffins in a bag, some semi-fresh fruit, cereal with mini cartons of milk, small yogurts, hard boiled eggs and Minute Maid Juices. If you are lucky you can toast some waffles or make a pancake.
But for some reason, when my kids found out there was going to be breakfast at the hotel the other morning, they almost wet their pants. (I think one of them actually did.)
Maybe the fact that they have that many options placed before them at one time that gets their hungry little hearts pumping. I have to reign them in, however, when they decide that they need to try a little of everything.
I always feel a little uneasy at these places they call the dining room. Remember, we have 5 kids with us...5 kids aged 10 and under. So we are noisy by nature and a little messy. No matter how hard I try, at least one will spill something. Some one will get upset because they can't have yougurt, cereal AND a waffle all at once. It is a given that someone will touch the other with their foot, causing the first to hit, scratch or pull hair.
Most the people who are there with us probably have zero kids and look at us like we are crazy... which we are...and "Can't we control our children a little more?" I always feel a bit self-conscious. But we have to eat. And I'm not going to apologize for having a large family.
This last time, my baby decided that he was going substitute apple juice for milk in his cereal and then proceeded to spill it all over the floor, my foot included in the flood. He also decided that he likes the whites of the egg, but not so much the yolk. We found this out when he put the whole yolk in his mouth then proceeded to spray it all over the table, the floor and himself. (I keep telling myself this is normal behavior...right?)
When we were finally done, I went to the front and asked if we could have a broom to clean up our mess. The lady there was so nice. She told me that she had 4 kids and she enjoyed watching our "normal" kids. She said not to worry about the mess.
How nice is that! Maybe we will come back again.
We will see you next time...
...between the hours of 6-9am.
6 comments:
My kids treat hotel breakfasts as 'all you can eat'. I wrote a post about it last year, you may enjoy taking a peek: http://ourmostofthetimehappyfamily.blogspot.com/2009/01/we-must-not-get-out-much.html
Traveling with kids...
one of our favorite family stories involves a hotel breakfast. . .Jake was so excited to make a waffle in the waffle iron that he used sausage gravy instead of waffle mix. . .nothing like shutting down the waffle maker for the whole breakfast rush! Yep. . .we like to leave our mark on places!
BTW I shared with him how your kids only get 1 hour of WII a week and being the math genius that he is he said "that's only 52 hours a year!" at least all the wii he plays hasn't ruined his mind:)
We took quite a large group in for breakfast one morning (11 boys and men in one room, 8 girls and women in the other). We pretty well dominated the continental breakfast and loved it, though I am sure we drove the hotel crazy...
What a sweet lady! - G
I love your kids. Love them. :)
Wow, you are an amazing mom...with quite some patience too! I'd be so stressed trying to get them under control that I'd probably break down and start sobbing until my husband took over. Glad you found an ally at the hotel!
Post a Comment