"An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir
Goodreads Summary:
"Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.
"Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.
"It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.
"But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.
"There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself."
My rating and review:
I am not usually big into fantasy books. But I would have to say this is one of the best books I have read this year. It's written from both the views of Laia and Elias. I love the strength and humility of both characters. The story is captivating and I found that I couldn't put it down. It isn't a violent book, although there is some. But the language is clean and that is often rare these days. I am not great at reviewing books and so this review does not do the book justice. But if you are looking for an exciting and captivating book, this is the one to get. You will not regret it!!
Linking up with Writer's Workshop this week.

6 comments:
This looks good! I am not a fantasy reader, either, but I've been surprised before. :)
I've never heard of this book but it actually sounds really good. I'm not a fantasy reader either. I'm always willing to give a book a try when it's a good review!
I don't really read fantasy too but it sounds an interesting read.
This sounds pretty good. I, too have been surprised by fantasy type books. It's on my library list for this weekend. I think my hubs would like it too.
I'm not usually a fantasy fan, but this sounds like it could be a winner. I'll read an excerpt on my Kindle!
=)
I read this and totally agree. It was so good and I cannot wait for the sequel!
Post a Comment