Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Mixed Tape

We used to sit around all day on Saturday waiting.
 
And waiting....waiting for that song.
 
And once it came on, you had to be quick.
Quick enough to get the most song
with the least amount of radio announcer.
 
And then......RECORD.
Technically you were pushing PAUSE 
because if you pushed RECORD,
 you would miss that perfect spot...
 missing the beginning of the song.
 
This is how I spent many a summer day....
...making a mixed tape.
 
For those of you who don't know what I am talking about....
iTunes has spoiled you.
 
But just as a history lesson....
 
This is a tape cassette.
This is a tape cassette player/radio.
And these were some of the artist...
that you were waiting for...
to come on the radio...
so you could record their songs onto your tape.
 
Now you can have a whole radio station...
 with all your favorite songs.
You don't even have a radio announcer
or advertisements to annoy you.  
 
I feel like such a pioneer.

4 comments:

jsturner1 said...

Haha! I am so with you!!!! My cassette player was pink. I still have a few mixed tapes! These poor kids of the 21st generation.

martha brown said...

I don't have any of my early "tape it off the radio" tapes. Part of me wishes that I still did.... ( but the other part of me says "let it go").
I remember the first mixed tape that a boy gave me..... ( sadly, the first song was "you can't always get what you want" by the stones -- and yes, it was a hint) ( but, in retrospect, WHY DID HE MAKE ME A MIXED TAPE??? -- what a giant mixed message to my teenaged self!)

Susan Anderson said...

It really is amazing how easy it is to get music these days. I can remember when being able to make a cassette tape was like gold.

=)

Sandra (Sam) said...

I made many-a mixed tapes! Still have some of them in fact since I have 3 stereos in my that play tapes. I still love my radio stations. My favorite station is a 70s/80s/90s focused station that often talks about trying to record around the DJ. Awww the nostalgia....