Friday, October 18, 2013

A fieldtrip...yay.....

I lied. Kind of.

The letter said, "If you would like to attend, sign your name here."

I signed my name. But that didn't mean that I necesarily wanted to attend. Not entirely true.

You see, my second grader is going on a fieldtrip in November. And I, personally, don't like going on fieldtrips. Oh, I used to...like them...when I was a second grader. It meant getting out of school... getting out of homework... going someplace new. That's fun.

But ever since I turned 18, fieldtrips are....well.....more like work. 

For a working mother of 5 children, an elementary school fieldtrip means:

...finding a babysitter for my 4 year old
...getting a background check so that I can get the state's permission to hang out with my child...
... being responsible for 5 other children.
...forgetting my "To-Do" list for the day.

Slightly less than fun?

That being said, I do love my second grader. And he begged me to go on the fieldtrip. So I signed the paper, half-heartedly. I did it partially because I knew I was not going to be the "chosen" one.

You see, all parents who want to go (or lie about the wanting), have to sign the paper. Then the names are put in a jar and the lottery begins. Only 4 parent's were allowed to go this time. Four. For the whole second grade. My name was not being picked.

PLUS we were late getting out paper in. "Surely they have already picked the chaperones and I am just signing this so that my son sees me trying my best to go on that trip."

Surely nothing.

My name got picked.

Oh, lucky day!!

(ps. my work computer doesn't like blogger. I can't change the color and size of the word from here....sigh.)
(ppss. Sorry I have been MIA. I only blog when at work and my work schedule changed to a time almost impossible to blog. But I hope that I am back for good.)

6 comments:

booksandcandy said...

oh my goodness thank goodness you are back. I MISSED YOU! I have been "signing" like crazy with all the children at work and they are really getting the hang of it I am super proud of them.
Have fun on the field trip remember your Advil.

Gabe said...

I'm always hoping not to be picked too! Glad your back! Missed ya

jsturner1 said...

Try being the teacher. Then field trip are even more less fun. I've missed you!!!! Write more so I can peek into your lives and feel less far away....

Juli said...

I volunteer for everything I can... like very little of it. But someday they will not want me there, so I'm fake enjoying it while I can. :)

Pearl said...

Would you believe that I have NEVER chaperoned a field trip?! It all seems so long ago that my son went on field trips that I am a little confused. Did they not go on trips? Was I too busy being a single parent, working far too many hours, to enjoy this sort of thing?!

Enjoy it, if you can. :-) It actually sounds like fun to me.

Pearl

Jenny said...

HIHIHIHIHIHIHIHI!