This year, he laid down the law.
Growing up, my parents let us open our presents early Christmas morning. No, like really early. As in 3 or 4am. Crazy, right? Except I loved it. It somehow made Christmas that much more magical.
Hubs' family, on the other hand, did not. I don't think they opened presents until Dec 26th. Okay, so that is a slight exageration. They slept in like normal. Like that's fun. Weee.....snoring.
So for the last 11 years, we have let our kids wake early. Yay for us! Until this year...
"We will not be waking up or opening presents until 6am," he declared. THE LAW.
There was much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth...some from me, I admit. But that was it. The LAW had been spoken.
That was it until... 2am when Kobe woke up and woke everyone else up. Which was fine....because they all headed down to the livingroom, looked what Santa had brought them, counted and sorted the presents, then put them back under the tree. No biggie. I was fast asleep so all was well.
Then Brody crawled into bed with me.
"Mom. Why can't we open the presents right now? I can't wait," he begged.
"Honey, everyone else is asleep," I mumbled.
"No they aren't. Everyone else is awake."
"Well, you remember what Daddy said. Not until 6am," I reminded him.
"Why? Why can't we just open them? Please, Mom. Please," he pleaded.
I looked over, and there slept the LAW, oblivious to the begging.
"Nope. But you can sleep right here by me." I rolled over and tried to ignore the begging, which progressively got louder and longer each hour.
Finally, 6am arrived and presents were opened and all was well.
"See, waking up at 6am was so nice. Everyone got enough sleep. We should do it every year," Brian proclaimed.
Maybe he didn't notice the bags under my eyes. All I can say is next year I am sending them to his side of the bed.
Law indeed.
5 comments:
haha
6 am was always our time, too. If the kids woke up earlier, we made 'em wait, heartless creatures that we were.
;)
PS. And yes, I suggest you send them over to HIS side next year...
PPS. We knew they were getting old when they started waking up at 7 AM! By themselves!!
Thankfully JDaniel didn't wake up until 6 a.m. I think your husband's side is the right side to head to.
Ha! We opened up ours on Christmas Eve Night. Even though our boys are now men, it made for a really nice Christmas Day!
We had alot of years of waking up super early then I hate to admit it but I was the law. ha ha
OMG...too funny! My husband layed down the law too this year at 6am! My poor son was up at 5am...but read a book in his room for an hour before coming to wake us up. What's up with our husbands??
I like your idea of sending them to his side of the bed....for sure! :)
Post a Comment