My heart was broken. When I found out the news about the Sandy Hook shooting. I sat down and mourned for hours. The last 4 minutes of the victims' lives was too much for me to think about. Those left with an empty space in their family tore me apart. So much loss. Loss of life. Loss of innocence. Loss of humanity.
I prayed. Still pray.
It was too much for me to even blog about. Any time I would think about it, my heart would break all over again. Even still. Even still.
I usually don't blog too much about politics on this here blog, but today I will.
It was not guns who killed those children. No more than it was an airplane who killed all those people in the World Trade Centers. It was a crazy man. A man who felt so little that killing children was not an issue for him. He was insane.
So why is it now okay to start stomping on the Constitution? Why are we banning guns? Taking away our guns is not going to stop crazy people from shooting people anymore than banning airplanes will stop terrorists.
The reason we have the constitutional right to bear arms is to protect us from the government. A government that does not fear it's people is a scary government indeed. I have a constitutional right to protect my family, from intruders, from crazies, and from the government if need be. And whether I use a rifle, a hand gun, a semi-automatic, or a tank really isn't the government's business. If the government can have it, why can't I?
It is a horrible horrible thing that this crazy man did with a gun. And it was a horrible horrible thing that those terrorists did with exacto knives and airplanes. Let's work on protecting ourselves against crazy people.
That's the real threat.
10 comments:
I think this is one of the most intelligent articles I've read about gun "control." I think you might appreciate it.
http://www.reginabrett.com/blog_comments.php?id=227&p=1 If this doesn't link. Just google Regina Brett Gun Safety.
I agree with Dana... great post! I shared it on facebook ;)
Amen
You go girl!
I agree. But you are also a rational sane individual who would ALWAYS make sure you have that gun under control.
Not everyone is like that.
Everyone should be able to own a gun if they chose to, legally and responsibly. No one is arguing that. The politicians that say the other side is trying to take away your guns is spewing forth nothing else but what the NRA who lines their pockets is telling them to.
But is it really necessary to have a semi automatic weapon? No true hunter would ever use it to kill something he would eat. It would destroy his dinner. The "thrill" in it if you will, is the marksmanship, the one shot, etc. Not blowing it to bits. At the range they are fun to shoot. No doubt. But that's the place for them. Not someone's bed side table.
The bigger issue here is that this "mother" (term used loosely) BRED him to be a killer. Took his otherwise brilliant mind and twisted it towards the dark side (excuse the Jedi lingo - mom of boys here) instead of using his powers for good.
My sons both are also both in the spectrum. Youngest displayed extreme violent behavior as a child. I was TOLD by professionals to lock him up and heavily medicate him. I was TOLD he'd never be part of normal society. Well, they were wrong, and I didn't lock him away.
oday, you'd barely know there was ever even an issue. I got him the help he needed and filled his life with better choices. I hold him accountable for his actions and fight every day to make sure he never strays to the dark side (other than the cookies). I did however, lock away the silverware, the matches, and anything else he could potentially hurt himself or any one else with because that is what a real parent does. He will learn to shoot when he is 11. It's how we grew up. But there won't be a gun here, in this house, until I know FOR CERTAIN, there will never be a relapse.
Al the laws are already in Washington, they just need enforcement. We don't need any new ones, or yet ANOTHER political platform for any extreme candidate to stand on on either side (d or R). What we need is responsibility among our citizens, and ourselves. We need resources when we have "craziness" to deal with and people to call when there is a concern about an individual.
We need NORMAL people running our country. Not ones with SI groups lining their pockets.
Sorry to take up so much space here, but I was feeling the mojo... and if you want help building that tank... I'm in! That would be so COOL!
Agreed! Totally.
Thanks for sharing that. I do feel like there need to be some regulations as far as mental health is concerned. I just worry that the more if our rights we give up the more the government will take. Give than an inch...
Mental health is definitely something that should be factored into the equation. And I agree, that mother should have been a little more aware of her son's aggressive tendencies and obsessions. And a tank would be awesome. I bet it would scare many a thief.
I agree with Juli that assault weapons should be kept for the shooting range only. Hunters don't need them, after all. It would be stacking the deck, and where's the sport in that?
I also think that mental health needs to be addressed in this country. Too many people don't have access to it.
"/
I agree. It's wise to worry about giving that inch... but we don't live in a country where we (as a society) value accountability. Like or or not, we just don't. Sad part is, I think the mother had just as many un-diagnosed mental issues, people were aware that something was not okay there (in her home)... just did nothing about it.
Guns are only a VERY small part of a much larger issue in this case. If he had only had access to a single shot gun, he would have had to reload and could have possibly been taken down sooner. Children could have lived.
Rest assured though, THAT won't be the center of our country's debate. It will undoubtedly become R vs. D and involve insane amounts of money trying to out scandalize the other... none of which will bring ANY of those children or teachers back. It's pathetic how far this country's gone in the wrong direction... regardless of who's in charge.
Post a Comment