Guess what.
Sometimes, I say....no. To my kids.
Yeah, I know. I know. I'm Horrible Mean Mother.
"Say yes to your children as often as you can." That's the new good parenting motto.
Really? Really? How is that good? I understand that children should be allowed to be children. And that we should choose our battles. But sometimes, the answer is no. Plain and simple.
And guess what. I say no.
"No, you have to pull your pants up. Everyone does not want to see your rearend cleavage."
"No, you can't skip your bath today because despite what you think, that isn't a tan on your leg. It's called dirty."
"No, we can't have ice cream for dinner because then it will be gone when I need to go to my special place in the middle of the night."
But in order to conform...in order to appease...in order to be Best Mom Evah.....I have come up with a plan to say yes more often.
Wanna hear it?
Child: "Mom, can I play the Wii?"
Me: "Yes. Three days from now, you can play the Wii." See, good mom.
Child "Can I buy a toy?"
Me: "Yes, of course my sweet child. You can work your little tail off for 4 weeks and earn just enough to get that toy you want. Have fun!" Great mom!
Child: "Mom. Can I stay home from school even though I'm not sick?"
Me: "Yes. That would be very helpful because someone will need to take over my daily duties of cleaning and washing and slaving while I take an extended vacation at the local jail. That would be fantastic! Thanks for volunteering!"
What do you think?
6 comments:
bwhahah I like the way you think...
I've often wondered about that logic as well!
Way to stay cool, Steph!
I'm a fan.
=)
Brilliant.
Too funny :) I'm not quite the "yes" mom but more of a "go ask daddy" mom.
Post a Comment