Wednesday, April 18, 2012

So I Married a Deaf Man: Why is that funny?

This weekend my children watched Napoleon Dynamite.  They loved it.

I hate it.

I watched it when it first came out on video in 2000...something. I was really excited because everyone was talking about how hilarious it was. And how the best part was at the end of the movie so I had to make sure I watched it to the end.

That should have been a red flag. If it is a good movie, is there ever any doubt that you are going to watch it all the way to the end? I mean, really?

So we turned it on...and I kid you not, within the first 6 minutes, Hubs was asleep. So I had to endure it...all alone. To the awesome end...that wasn't awesome.

Now understand, I get why people think that show is hilarious. It's because of the way Napoleon says things. His voice. Inflection. Mannerisms. Then you take Napoleon-isms and you repeat them with your husband or your friends or your whoever, who has also seen the movie. That's fun.

Okay, so now imagine you are married to someone who only reads the words. There is zero affect. There is no inflection. There is just words. And the words, without sounds, really aren't that funny.

Really.

"Gosh!"

*Side note. I will admit that since watching the movie with my kids, I have found it quite a bit funnier than the first time. Mostly because I hear them quoting the movie back and forth. And it is funny.

6 comments:

Kyla said...

Yes, I can see why your husband can't get the humor and it did take me a while to "get it." Whenever my kids say, "this is the worst ...ever." Someone will say, "How can you even know that, Napoleon?" That part's funny.

Cheryl said...

My kids LOVE that movie too. I have tried several times to get through it and it is just not happening! haha

Susan Anderson said...

My kids find that movie waaaay more funny than I did.

=)

Kerri said...

I've never seen it.....should I shouldn't I watch it?!

Melanie said...

Ha ha ha...no wonder your husband was bored to sleep. Really...if you ask me...that movie has it's moments...and that's it. Just a few moments. But...I do have a "Tina, you fat lard. Come get some dinner" shirt that my mom bought for me. I like it....a lot.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

it took a few times to really make us giggle...

we constantly make quotes from the movie

and it makes us giggle!