Wednesday, April 11, 2012

So I Married a Deaf Man: What does that even mean?

In our house, we have plblms and hegaches.

Do you have those?

What about 'buckle me off's'?

And finish haves?

What are those things?

Well, those are all things that come when you have a Deaf daddy. Okay, well, I don't have a Deaf daddy, but my kids do so that means I have them in my house.

I have mentioned before how Hubs rarely will use his voice if he doesn't know you very well. But he knows our kids...duh...so he talks. And they learn to talk some of their words the same way Daddy does.

So when they say "I have a plblm," they mean, "I have a problem."

When they say "I have a hegache," they mean, "I have a headache."

In addition, I often hear them speaking ASL grammar. In fact I often get humg up on that too. Is it 'more fun' or 'funner'? Is it 'best' or 'worse better'? It sometimes makes my head want to explode. Lucky for me I can usually convince the head that exploding isn't a good option. So far.

So when at my house and you hear, "Daddy buckle me off" that means "Daddy unbuckled me."

And when you hear, "I finish have dinner" that means, "I already ate dinner."

Just some of the quirkiness that happens in our house. We aren't talking jibberish. It really means something. At least to us.

Now, when you come over and hear, "I finish have hegache. I buckle me off can't. That's a plblm," you will know exactly what we are saying....

....more better.

4 comments:

NatureGirl said...

I love way you express yourself. perfect. wonderful. Never forget you finish have special way with words and continue use. yes.

Susan Anderson said...

I still think there's a book in all of this, Stef. In fact, I'm sure of it.

=)

Kerri said...

It never crossed my mind that kids might learn to speak ASL...using the verb last. Interesting! And, I agree w/ Sue...but I already told you that!

Mary said...

I love reading these posts! I don't know if I told you this before, but once I was successful in getting a student with both parents being deaf tested for ASL, since that was her first language! She didn't qualify, but she wasn't off by much.