Tuesday, April 3, 2012

So I Married A Deaf Man: King Lotharon

You know King Lotharon, right?

From Princess Bride? Prince Humperdink's healthstricken father who only mumbles? That's the one. This really is one of the funny parts of the book. What? You haven't read the book? Oh, my. You are really missing out...because not only is it funnier than the movie, you get to hear what the characters are thinking.

Genius!

Anywhoo. The relationship between King Lotharon and his Queen Bella is great. It reminds me of Hubs' and my relationship at times.

From the book

Prince Humperdinck: "Who do I marry? Let's pick a bride and get it done."

King Lotharon: "I've been thinking it's really getting to be about time for Humperdinck to pick a bride." But  what everyone heard was "I've beee mimbbble mumbble Humpmummmble engamumble."

Queen Bella: "You couldn't be righter, dear."

P.H: "What did he say?"

QB: "He said whoever we decided on would be getting a thunderously handsome prince for a lifetime companion."

Wow! Not even close.

See. It would totally stink to have to depend on someone to talk for you...all the time. Hubs totally gets that. Whether he is calling someone on the phone, giving a presentation in class or hanging out with friends. Unless the people are deaf, Hubs has someone there...saying what he is saying...signing.  

Most times that is me.

The flip side of that is that sometimes it stinks always being the person who says what he is saying. Whether you want to or not. (Although I have already admitted to you all here that I don't always do that.) But sometimes it is fun.

Hubs teaches the adult Sunday School at church. And though we have interpreters for the other classes, I usually am the one interpreting for his lesson. Unlike Queen Bella, I do interpret what Hubs says. Always.

But I may add a little "Stef Spice." A word or two...just to make things interesting. Then Hubs looks out to the crowd and they are laughing. He knows he didn't say something funny. Then he looks to me and shakes his head.

I know I shouldn't. And when I am working, really working...you know...for money....I never add Stef Spice. Ever. But when it's Hubs...

...I simply can't resist.

7 comments:

Kerri said...

A little spice always makes things more interesting....and in your case...a little funny!

Kristie said...

I personally love the Stef spice! :)

Susan Anderson said...

I'll be the Sunday School crowd (and others) love that little added Stef spice!

=)

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

omg we could so be friends....i'd sooo do the same thing in ur shoes.

i read this story to my hubs and he shook his head....and then points at me....yep...he knows better

CB said...

You crack me up. That would definately be a hard thing to resist doing as a wife! I bet your husband has a great sense of humor though! I would love to be a fly on the wall.

Jodi said...

STEF!!! SO DO I!!!! I am going to make Curt read this. He gets so ticked off when I do that. I am glad it is not only me. Phew. Thanks for the post. I feel a little teeny tiny bit vindicated. Watch for Curt calling your spouse on the VP to commiserate!

Melanie said...

he he he...I wish he was MY sunday school teacher. Very entertaining, I am more than sure.