Thursday, April 19, 2012

I Learned it From My Kids: You're not going to believe this

His homework was ruined. Totally, utterly, and completely ruined.

"Mom! How could you let this happen?" he irrationally asked. Remember, tween.

"Me? How could I let this happen? So I was the one who didn't put your homework in your backpack? Instead I left it on the chair? That was me?" I asked.

There was nothing he could say except, "What am I supposed to do? I have to turn it in today."

"I am Mom! I can fix anything," I reminded him.

You see, for whatever reason, after he was done with his homework, he decided that instead of putting it in his backpack or even on the kitchen table, he was going to put it on the dining room chair.

No big deal, right?

Yeah, no big deal...until this morning when everyone gathered for breakfast. No big deal until his potty-training brother chose to stand on the chair that held his homework. No big deal until said brother decided he didn't want to be potty trained at the moment.

We are talking the first release of the morning. All over the chair. All over the floor. And consequently, all over Kobe's "Fraction and Decimal" homework. 

A little of blow drying and a lot of Lysol and the homework was saved.

So, what did I learn?

First, I learned that if we don't take care of those things that are important to us, people are going to pee all over them.

If I really believe that our bodies are temples, then shouldn't I avoid viewing media that promotes the exploitation of them?

If I believe that sex is sacred and should be saved for marriage, then shouldn't I turn off any music, movie or TV show that treats it with complete disrespect?

If family is of extreme importance, then shouldn't I make it my top priority and eliminate all the unnecessary distractions?

The world is just standing there with its pants down waiting...waiting to pee on whatever is important to us. So let's not let them! Lets put our treasures up up where no-one can ruin them.

The second thing I learned was that potty trainers should go to the bathroom as soon as they wake.

What did you learn from your kids this week? If you want to share, link up. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, this is great I'm going to find loads of stuff I like here. Following you back!

momto8 said...

I learned that no matter how much they fight with each other they still love each other. and I learned a long time ago never leave school work in the kitchen!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
have a great weekend!

Jenny said...

Laughing with you. I swear I am. Definitely, definitely not laughing AT You!

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

haha great lesson to learn from this huh! haha

as for hm...don't get me started...for 2 days i told oldest to put his schedule change form in his folder....there it sat by my computer.
he txt me from school day 3 asking where his paper was...
i said sitting where i told him it was for 2 days while telling him to put it in his folder.

they never learn!

Unknown said...

Sooo funny! We've been there with toys, not homework, but still just as majorly upsetting to a 4 yr old! Now me, I would have been concentrating on all the clean up and forgetting the lessons! (I'm so over the potty training thing!)

Susan Anderson said...

heehee

I am thinking of the teacher and telling myself that what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

;)

Unknown said...

hopping over from UBP...thanks for stopping by the Lone Tater. Love this blog and I am a new follower! What did you tell the teacher?