Tuesday, December 6, 2011

So I Married a Deaf Man: Did you hear something?

Sometimes I just ignore him.

I admit it.

Most the time, when he calls my name from the other room, I will come. I will stop what I am doing and go to him to see what it is he needs.

Most of the time.

But there are other times...

...like when I am in the middle of organizing the piles and piles of children's books that are spread all over the floor.

...when I am in the middle of changing a very nasty diaper.

...when I am in the middle of playing a song on the piano and have finally conquered the hardest five measures of my life and am finally to the easy part.

...when he has really ticked me off and I simply don't want to.

...and especially when I am in the restroom....yeah...ahem..especially then.

I am not trying to be mean. Most of you, when your husband calls to you, can holler out, "I'm in here." or "Hold on a second! I'll be right there." I can't do that. It would fall on deaf ears...literally.

I have talked to him about this. I have told him how frustrating it can be to stop what I am doing and seek him out. Plus, I don't have that luxury...to call out to him. If I am in need of his assistance, I can't just yell out,

"Can you get the door. I'm stuck in the shower."
"World War III is about to happen in the room YOU ARE IN. Can you intervene?"
"Can you get the cookies out of the oven. The timer is beeping."
"Hubs! A little help here!! We are out of toilet paper!!"


Nope. Can't do it. And though I have told him, I still will hear "Stef!" coming from up the stairs, or around the corner, or in the next bedroom.

So I have just decided to do what the rest of you do... I answer.

"Stef!!" he yells.
"What? I'm in here," I reply. Then I wait for him to answer. Nothing. "Hmmm....must not be too important." And to be honest, if it is really important, he will come and find me.

Is that mean? I don't do it all the time. Honest. I don't.

But every now and then and then and then....and then...

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this would be terribly convenient at times. Of course, you can't claim that YOU didn't hear HIM. So how do you get away with it?

Arnebya said...

I am really giggle b/c, um, I ignore too. And I can hear him, he can hear me. But sometimes...

@DeNae -- Maybe she says I DID answer. It's not funny, but still (especially if she actually does answer out loud. He can't hear her answer but she DID answer). And now I'm really laughing b/c my husband literally just called from the kitchen and I damn near choked it was so timely.

Gabe said...

I always tell my kids the same thing and I do ignore them if they just yell for me. Please come and talk to me don't just yell at me! Maybe not exactly the same situation, but close, right?

jen said...

So funny. I never thought of this. It would be handy with children as well . . .

Unknown said...

I've never thought of this. Hilarious.

Sometimes I respond "What?" really quietly to my kids and husband. For some reason it takes away the guilt and still affords me a few more minutes.

Susan Anderson said...

He is a lucky man. Not because you don't always come when he calls, but because you are so dang funny.

=)

Carrie said...

It honestly doesn't sound much different then what I do in my house;) At least with the kids... my ears are shut until about 10 "mom's" are said!

Juli said...

Never thought f this, but would totally do it.

And not just some of the time. Most of the time.

I know. I'm not very nice sometimes.

Mary said...

Heck, my husband isn't deaf, but I still ignore him when he yells for me in a different room. It drives me CRAZY.

Rachelle and sometimes Katelyn said...

You are way nicer then I am! My thoughts on the whole thing and my fair world issues are... You have to find him EVERY TIME you need him, so I would feel absolutely no guilt making him come find me when he needs me! :) I know, I'm a brat. I need to work on my fairness issues.

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Yet another, "I never even thought about that" moment for me. That would be soooo frustrating. Especially the toilet paper!
Dana

Teachinfourth said...

I have no response to that.

I'd probably do the same thing...sometimes.

Okay, probably a lot.

The Crazy Coxes said...

Love it!!! I do the same thing. Sometimes I just ignore kids or my husband. Sometimes, I don't feel like yelling out "I'm in the bathroom." Can I just have some peace? I don't blame you one bit!