Monday, December 5, 2011

I've only go today

Today was the day I was going to get up, get my kids off to school and start my new morning routine. You know the one: quick clean, scripture reading, exercising, and showering --...very important...that last one.

Today was the day I was going to get the grocery shopping done for the week. A little something extra for a goodie exchange this week.

Today was the day.

Or so I thought.

Instead, today was the day that my kids woke early, peaked out the window and ran through the house screaming, "Snow day!!" which was confirmed minutes later via a phone message from the school.

Today was the day that we took our traditional snow day trip to Krispy Kreme for breakfast. Partly because it is fun. Mostly because Hubs loves driving in heavy snow and I allow him to put our whole family at risk. That's the kind of wife/mother I am.

Today was the day for the kids and Hubs to play for hours in the snow while I looked on, making hot chocolate and baking banana, listening Christmas music (of course) and dusting off snow covered children.

Today is the day that Rufus, the dog --not a child, just wanted to clarify, not that I would name a child Rufus...not that there's anything wrong if you did...okay, maybe a little bit wrong but whatever-- Rufus decided to eat a whole loaf of my banana bread.

Today was the day my kids played together. Fought a little. Played some more. They even cleaned their jobs...most of them. I also found out that Briggy likes Barbies. "I wuv Bawbies. I do. I wuv pwaying wif Kywa's Bawbies."

Hmmm...

Somethings just go better than planned.

Today was one of those days.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

That is pretty awesome. And look at you...able to let go of your plans for something even better. REAL FAMILY BONDING TIME! You are an awesome lady.

I may, or may not, have said something like, "No...you can't go outside. I have things to get done and I don't have the time to get you all bundled up." But...in my defense...only on a bad day. Maybe. :)

Jenny said...

I think your today sounded like a perfect day! Thanks for the smile!

The Crazy Coxes said...

So jealous!!!!! It sounds like the perfect day!!!

jsturner1 said...

I agree. Yesterday was awesome!!!! I made 2 kinds of Christmas cookies. Wrapped gifts. JJ even made $18 shoveling driveways. Yeah for snow days.

Arnebya said...

Sounds like an excellent day, even in the midst of what didn't get done, you know? To be able to see the good that came of the day and let go of what you wanted to do...motherhood at its best (also, that your husband played in the snow for hours, not you = win!).

And LOL @Melanie!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Seems like I say everyday that, "today will be the day"

HA! Right. I really should stop setting myself up for disappointment.

And man, we never get snow days here! Probably because we're buried in snow for at least half the year. Yuck.

And donuts sound really good right about now....

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds like the kind of day that was just about perfect!

=)

CB said...

I think it sounds like a fabulous family day!! Wonderful.

I also cannot believe you guys had a snow day already. For the first time since I can ever remember it is December and we do not even have snow on our mountains, much less the ground. It is weird.

Lois Sparks said...

what a fun day! I'll name our next child (if we'll ever have another one - still need to convince hubby and half of myself) RUFUS!!!!!!! lol!

Juli said...

Oh! I love this day! And I love even more that it happened to you. :)

Teachinfourth said...

What a great tradition on snow days...

We've never had a snow day here in Utah - at least for the 11 years I've been a teacher.