Wednesday, February 2, 2011

So I Married a Deaf Man: What's in a name?

The hardest part about having a baby is choosing the name.

What a load of crock!! Erase. Erase. Let me start over.

If you don't count contractions, labor, giving birth, nursing, lack of sleep, nursing...if you don't count those, choosing a name is the hardest part about having a baby.

Getting two different people to agree on a name that will stick with their child for the rest of their life and then be chiseled on their head stone even after they are dead is near impossible. I'm pretty amazed that we were able to do it five times.

You have to choose a name that sounds just right. Not too girly for a boy and not too masculine for a girl. **Insert opinion: Boy names are harder to choose because girls keep stealing the boy names...grrrrr. But I'm done, so what do I care?**

Moving on....

Naming babies is extra tough for us. Why? Hubs can't hear. So he doesn't really care if that name is lame or not. Correction. He doesn't care if it sounds lame. He is only concerned with how it looks on the hands.

You may be thinking, "Awwww. How sweet."

Stop that, right this minute!! It isn't cute! It isn't sweet. You don't understand the crazy names Deafies can come up with. Seriously. You see, there are no rules about vowels and consonants in finger spelling. Just the shape and flow of the fingers.

It could be disastrous.

When we were pregnant with our first, Hubs suggested, if the baby was a girl we could call her Peek-a-boo. What the???? Yes, I know that there is a professional skier with that name. Perhaps her parents are Deaf? It's not a normal name. No offense, awesome skier lady.

And if our first born happened to be a son, which he was, Hubs suggested we call him Cosmo. Yes,  the mascot for BYU.  And he was serious. Dead serious.

Sometimes a mom has to put her foot down. We did eventually, with each of our children, decide on names that were normal but also unique: Kobe, Kyla, Brody, Camden, and Brigham. I love them all.

Cosmo...(shaking my head),

Nice save, Mom!

12 comments:

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Your kids so have amazingly cool names. We had a hard time choosing too. But I put my foot down. Now all three wish they had, had the name Dad wanted.

paige said...

I have to say that I love the unusual names. I'd consider peekaboo. It's different. I'm more annoyed by people who keep naming their kids boring, unimaginative names like John. Nothing wrong with it but I guess I always wanted an original name and never got it. Plus, we had like 3 Davids, 2 Johns and 4 Jennifers in a class of 32. Sad.

I think you did great with your names. I honestly love them all. All cute and not common. I especially love Brigham.

Susan Anderson said...

Glad you took a pass on Cosmo...

;)

Unknown said...

Hee. Cosmo and Peekaboo. Definitely unique names....names that would probably get them beat up at school or teased mercilessly. I do agree with you about how hard it is to name your child though. It was difficult for us too since we had to make sure the name translated correctly in Japanese too. I had wanted the name "Ella" but when pronounced in Japanese, it would sound like "Error" which makes it sound like we had her by mistake.

Your kids have great unique names though and they don't sound as absurd as "Pilot Inspektor", "Jermajesty" or "Fifi Trixibelle" :)

Kerri said...

Your kids have great names! I just tried to finger spell Cosmo...and that's kind of tricky!! Who got to decide on their "sign" name?!

NatureGirl said...

Hunky Hubby suggested Cosmo for several of our kids...boys and girls...mostly as a salute to Cramer from Seinfeld...but we are big Coug fans too!

PS None of my children is named Cosmo...

Lisa said...

That's not just a deaf person thing~my kids were the worst culprits. One wanted to name another "Y-bee." That's right, Y-bee. By the way, you're totally right about girls stealing boy names~what is up with that? Like they don't already have the cream of the crop! There should be some sort of law against that. I'll call my Senator.

Juli said...

We are NOT having anymore. But if we had a girl, I have alwasy loved the name Leia. As in Princess Leia.

Almost Hubs hates it.

I already have a Luke.

And all the males in this house are Star Wars obcessed.

But, I have unbelievable Jedi powers, so in the end, I think I'd win. :)

Anonymous said...

Ummm...my father wanted to name me Fred if I was a boy and ... get ready for this ... Fredalina if I was a girl.

Fortunately my mom won. Liz is 10 gazillion times better.

http://polkadotsock.wordpress.com

Jenny said...

I know a couple where the guy named his kids ESPN and Patriots. (plural)

Yeah. His wife caved.

Geez.

imbeingheldhostage said...

wow, who would have thought it? I guess you would want something cool that rolled off the fingers. Maybe WE (non-deaf folks worried about vowels and consonants) are all wrong...

Jen Kesler said...

Funny stuff!