All my kids can sign. All of them.
All of them could sign before they could speak. They even babbled in sign first. For the first 2 years of their lives, signing is their dominant language.
So why is it, when we sit down at the dinner table and get ready to pray, they, Hubs and kids, look to me to interpret?
I mean, I know I am good....cough..cough..ahem. After all, I do it for a living. And I am nationally certified. (I'm not bragging. Oh, no. It took me three times taking that test to finally pass it. Sheesh!) Plus, I do it often at church and all extracurricular activities...you know the activities that parents go on and leave their children behind. I believe they are called dates.
But at home, I do not interpret.
Okay, that's not 100% true. I wish it was. But there are times when stepping in just can't be helped; times when I see miscommunication happening in a big way. Or when Hubs and I want to be100% sure that the Israelites understand what is being said. And scripture reading. Scripture reading is tough to understand at 6 years old, let alone have to interpret it.
I'm not the go between. I refuse to be. I refuse to encourage a lack of relationship between child and father. Both are perfectly capable of meeting each other's needs and closing their communication gap.
Plus, their ability to talk to one another takes a huge burden off my shoulders.
So when I hear, "Will you tell Daddy that I want to go with him to the store?", I quickly respond, "Will you pay me your allowance for the next 6-8 months?"
Or when Hubs says to me, "Can you tell him to get his shoes on and get in the car?" I gently remind him, "You know I get paid two hour minimums, right?"
Mama don't work for cheap!
14 comments:
I absolutely love your blog! Love it! My father is deaf, so I can relate! And, the cursive thing, I could not agree more! So happy to have come across your blog!
BWHAHAH yeah that would be frustrating if they could sign and still come to you. Make them work those skills that will be useful for them later in life.
Great title! I kept wondering where the I'm expensive part was going to come in!
My son knew about 30 signs by the age of 2...so of course, he was a late talker. Our pediatrician wanted to send him to a speech center for evaluating...um, no thanks.
Good for you! Loved your comeback about the allowance.
It is probably a hard habit to break. I think your rates are more than fair.
Too funny! Tell them that you don't like to bring your work home with you so they'll have to figure it out themselves. Otherwise, you'll have to charge them for overtime :)
I just love reading your blog. There's nothing quite like the combination of humor and really interesting stuff!
Thanks
=)
I swear kids are like that whether their Dad is deaf or not. Why does the word Mom seem to be synonymous with translator? Cute post!
Love this! Work it, baby!
Good for you! They don't realize what a HUGE favor you are doing them by refusing to work for free! ;)
Solidarity Sister!
I feel the same way when someone asks me to "quickly" sew something for them.
Up next... my sister needs playroom curtains... se SOOOO can't afford me. :)
I love it! You have every right to be expensive.....as long as your not interpreting for me :)
I have this problem and my husband isn't deaf! Its hard being a Mum sometimes. The whole 'can you ask the kids to get their shoes on' happens here too. Got to love them though.
Post a Comment