Thursday, February 3, 2011

Quiet, will ya!

Some people should just stop talking.

I mean really. It's great that they know so much, but some of the information that they share can really mess with a person's life.

My sister, for example.

I have been working my butt off, exercising everyday. I run. I do the crazy Insanity workout. I run some more. I have been really good about doing it 4-5 days a week; running up to 3 miles in the 40 minutes session that I schedule for torturing my body.

Then last week, in our weekly "we-are-going-to-lose-weight-for-reals-this-time" meetings, said sister declares that running really doesn't help you lose weight. If you are going run for your "heart health," awesome. But for weight loss, forget it.

What!!??? What is she talking about? How dare she say that?!!?

What does she know anyway? It's not like she was a multiple state champion cross-country/track runner and an All-American college runner or anything. Wait. Yes she was. So what if she still runs half marathons. Who cares?

That bit of information was not appreciated by me. At all.

She said that research shows that we, women, tend to listen to our bodies. Meaning as we burn calories, our body screams for more And we give our bodies what they want. Well, duh! Obviously I've let my body become a tyrant. Hoarding up all chocolate in sight. Wolfing down chips and queso at all hours of the night. Inhaling Cadbury eggs no matter the season.

But isn't taking back control the whole purpose of exercise and dieting; punishing my body for taking over and showing it who is the boss. Me. My mind! My will. If I am going to exercise and burn 423 calories, then shouldn't I also have the ability to control how many calories I put into it? Isn't that the point?

Research is dumb. Overrated. And doesn't take into consideration a person's will. Mine in particular.

So, sister who I love dearly, don't tell me about the research. I am going to run my not-so-little butt off. And then you can tell everyone about your sister who defied the norm.

Until then....

...quiet yourself.


PS. My sister really is awesome. Just so you know.

Participating in Jenny Matlock's ABC Thursday. It's Q. Quick, join in!

29 comments:

Jackie said...

Quiet is the best place to be .

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Quiet - an excellent Q.

I have a sister too. She tells me I have to resistance train if I want to lose weight. I'm going to create a quiet corner for our sisters.

RedTedArt said...

I think I was that noisy sister... ooops.

Like peace and quiet too (we have the same Q over at Red Ted Art!!)

Maggy

Unknown said...

Awesome post :) That's the reason why I stop reading research stuff. It just makes me wonder why I try so hard to be healthy :) I'm just going to pretend that I never read the part where your sister said that running does not help with weight loss.

Ignorance is bliss, no?

Excuse me while I reward myself with a donut for my running achievements this week :)

Anonymous said...

I am the noisy sister. I need to remember to be quiet.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Just turn a deaf ear and do what you want to do :)

Ingrid said...

OK, I am quiet, but it's difficult,lol !

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Do what makes you feel comfortable and happy to do. I like quietness..

Lisa said...

Yeah, rude. One more reason to live righteously enough to create my own world and make Cadbury's a form of nutritional genius, allowing weight to melt off the more bags you eat. And running will make you fart, so, you know. :) That's my goal, anyway.

fredamans said...

Silence is golden.

Kristie said...

hahaha. I agree that when I run a lot I don't lose weight, BUT my body looks better. So that is a good enough reason in itself! Keep running!!

Susan Anderson said...

I think I was a noisy sister on the phone just last night.

Of course, she DID ask me...

but still.

;)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Just the excuse I need to sit on my posterior and eat popcorn tonight after work instead of running on the treadmill.

Thanks!

paige said...

It's still good for you! Still better than not doing anything.

Quiet is a good Q.

Judie said...

"QUIET!" is what I tell my two dogs, Lizzy and Mulligan when they decide to have a bark-off in the office while I am trying to think!

imbeingheldhostage said...

I'm with you-- DEFY the research!

CB said...

I have never heard that before. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE I know who runs is thin!! Seriously keep it up = You are my hero!

CB said...

P.S. I don't have a sister sometimes I'm glad (wink!).

Anonymous said...

I certainly never believe research unless it supports what I want to believe! :-)

Teresa

Juli said...

I used to run a lot. But it was more for my sanity, and not because any one was chasing me. :)

Shannon said...

Such a great post! I hear ya about people censoring their thoughts though. Sometimes I feel like saying, "Hello, know our audience!"

Anyway, I run too and in my opinion, it's as good for my mind as it is for my body!

P.S. I'm loving the hearts on the background!

H said...

That means I can put off running for one more day :)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Let me get that straight: I shouldn't do any aerobics. Hmmm. Well, that's good news for me since my body can only do low-impact stuff these, though every so often I wouldn't mind taking off running again.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

quiet time is needed after an exciting party or an active discussion...

lovely entry.

Theresa Plas said...

Quite proud of your running accomplishments! Keep it up!

Splendid Little Stars said...

ah yes, the I'm-hungry-now-that-I've-worked-so-hard syndrome. sigh.
QUIET!
One can loose weight. Just eat the good stuff, and remember you may be gaining muscle weight and muscles burn more energy. So it's all good. Do keep it up!

Jenny said...

What a wonderfully fun stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "Q".

Sisters...can't always live with 'em, can't always kill 'em.

Thanks for the smile.

And thanks for sharing this happy link.

A+

Teachinfourth said...

Well, I guess it could've always been worse, right? Maybe she would have an affinity for talking about her various illnesses and daily problems.

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Sisters, they just think they speak their mind. What is up with that?
Dana