Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's a Trap!!

Last night, while at work, someone brought a plate of cookies to our house, knocked on the door, and took off running

"How nice!" I typed to Hubs on the good old Google chat.

"No. No, it isn't. There was no note. No explanation. Nothing!" he responded.

"Well, I think if they wanted us to know who it was, they would have knocked and stood at the door with the plate of cookies in hand, don't you think?"

"Well, I am not going to eat them and I am not going to let the kids eat them. We don't know who they are from," he informed me.

I find this extremely funny because we have, from time to time, dropped off cookies or other goodies on our friends' doorsteps and ran, without the ever important note. I couldn't help but laugh.

I totally forgot about it until this morning when I saw the plate of cookies still wrapped in tin foil, uneaten on the counter. That never happens. Ever!

Saweet! All for me.

As I opened them I began to wonder, "What if it is a trap? What if there is someone out there who hates my gutts, Hubs' gutts and all my kids gutts (that's a lot of gutts to hate) and wants us dead? This would be the perfect way to kill off my family."

They were not homemade. Meaning the ability to sneak toxins into these chocolatey beauties would be next to impossible without completely destroying the cookie.

I smelled them. Heavenly. In fact, I think I gained 2 pounds just from the aroma.

I inspected them, looking for any suspicious white powder or odd looking puncture marks. Nope. Nothing.

The only way we were going to know if they were indeed sent to us by some sick, twisted, unknown enemy was to taste them.

There was only one thing left to do.

"Kids!! Come eat these cookies that someone left for us." In a matter of 30 seconds, all but one had vanished.

I waited. I watched. I waited some more. No-one was dying. No-one was whining. No-one was complaining. Okay, who am I kidding? But they weren't complaining about stomach pains.

I quickly ate my cookie in peace.

Lesson Learned: Just eat the cookies left on your doorstep by you-don't-know-who, because the chances of them being left by a psycho cookie killer are slim to none. Okay, pretty much none.

Thank you, random friend for thinking of us. 

Sorry we judged you!

Linking up with Mama Kat and Jenny Matlock. Need an idea....check them out.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a chuckle-a psycho cookie killer.

Teresa

Jackie said...

lol paranoia is a biatch

Dominique Goh said...

Cookies..my favourite.. duh.. I've yet to have them mysteriously turn up at my doorstep.

Susan Anderson said...

I guess I'll be leaving notes on my ding-dong-ditch cookies from now on, just to avoid such confusion...

;)

Kimberly said...

Wish my neighbors would do that kind of thing. Guess I should start first?

Leah said...

How bizarre! Who left them and why? And can i get some neighbors like them over by me? I would love to just come home one day and find random cookies at my doorstep! : )Glad everyone is safe and sound after eating them.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe your husband's reaction! Thank goodness we have big strong men to protect us from psycho cookie killers. :-)

Natasha in Oz said...

Thank goodness! I was beginning to worry!

Sounds like you live in a kind and friendly neighbourhood-how lucky you are!

Best wishes always,
Natasha.

Betsy said...

That's so funny. I can't say I've ever had cookies dumped on my door step for no reason before, I would probably have been suspicious as well!

Unknown said...

OH man I want a random cookie leaver.. so jealous right about now. Like you I would just think it was a nice gesture ..

Karen and Gerard said...

It may be a good idea to leave a note on your giveaways next time--wouldn't want your cookies to go to waste! I think it's funny you let your kids taste them first. Isn't the parent supposed to be the protecting the kids? Just sayin'.

Stopping by from writer's workshop. Here's the link to mine if you get a chance to come by: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2011/02/alternate-bowling-style-lesson-writers.html

Kerri said...

I guess hubs missed out on the cookies..you snooze you lose!
Thanks for your paint comment...wish I could come over and check out your green on your walls! 21 paint samples later...we finally picked another color last night (so ridiculous!) I'm going to be the painter today!

jen said...

Like you I can't count how many times we've spent FHE doorbell ditching. Really? Don't you think it was someone you know?

Laynee said...

That would be nice to have random cookies left outside my door. Alas the only neighbors that would do that are guys and they only cook Ramen noodles.

Diane said...

Wow. What nice neighbors you have! If anybody was trying to secretly do away with me, leaving poisoned cookies on my doorstep would be a surefire way to do it! Glad yours weren't spiked! ;)

Kristie said...

I know who did it... it wasn't us, but I'm in the know here. I think you're good to go!

Unknown said...

Ha! I have had the same thoughts. My husband made me make an anonymous note the last time we did that so it LOOKED less ominous.

What is happening to us!?!?

Anonymous said...

I'm paranoid like that too. I never thought to use my kids as the test subjects though! Great idea. :)

I'm here from Mama Kat's.

Unknown said...

Wow! I need a cookie-leaving friend! My husband would suspect the same thing, and I could have them all to myself! Great post!

visiting from Mama Kat's...

Tasha said...

I would be paranoid too...but then VERY tempted :P

Anonymous said...

I'm just as paranoid. No note, email, text, IM, FB message, Tweet, post...to the trash!

Anonymous said...

JDaniel would have been happy to test them out of you.

Jessica said...

I don't think I would have eaten the cookies. I think it is hilarious you had the kids try them before you did.

Jessica
http://mytimeasmom.com

Sue McPeak Hunt said...

Random Cookie Killer on the loose...I think I saw that on a poster at the Post Office! Just kidding....it was me...I left them...it was a long trip back to Texas...no time for a note. Hope ya'll enjoyed them!

The Crazy Coxes said...

Awesome! I would eat them too! Who passes up cookies and if they were poisoned, at least you would die happy!

Juli said...

I have to say, I'd never kill someone with cookies.

That's a perfectly good waste of a cookie.

Maybe whoopie pies, but not cookies.

paige said...

That's funny. Something similar happened to a coworker and another coworker ended up eathing the cupcakes because the first one was afraid. Hilarious.

Judie said...

If I found cookies at my door, I would be afraid that they were left by the woman behind us who hates everybody, and I really would be afraid to eat them!! Hahaha!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

when it comes to food, free items at door step may not be ideal for me.

lovely message for the day.




Greetings, Happy Firday! Blessings…

Friendship Awards, Enjoy!
Thanks for the support, You Rock!
xxx

Lisa said...

Gotta say, if you're going to die a poisonous death, it might as well be with cookie crumbs on your mouth, right? I mean, there are way worse ways to go.

Teachinfourth said...

LOL...always good to have someone to test it all out on!

Jenny said...

What a terrific link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "T".

Perhaps you can rent the kids out for royal poison testers in their spare time...mwahahahahahahahahaha!

Thanks for the smile!

This was really a wonderful link this week.

A++++++

Unknown said...

You are such a great mom :) Letting your kids taste test the cookies for you and all. Well at least no one was harmed and all is well!