Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pull over!

Isn't disciplining your kids fun to do sometimes? You see, before the summer, when my kids would act up we would send them outside to move pavers...you know those little bricks that you use to make walkways in your yards? Yeah, those. We have them move them from one side of the yard to the other side and stack them...then move them back.

It is so much fun.

Since the summer started, however, my husband felt it would be more productive to have them pull weeds when they get in trouble. Great!  I have a garden that needs to be tended to, and enough naughty children to keep it nice. Perfect!

Well, on our 20 hour drive home, my two kids started to fight. And they wouldn't stop. You see, we were having a Shrek Marathon (because what else is there to do in a car for 20 hours). We were on the second movie and my daughter calls that she gets to be Puss in Boots.

"I want to be Puss in Boots, too!" replies my 5 year old son.
"You can't because I called it first and I am him." she responded.
Weeping begins, "Mommy, I want to be Puss in Boots, but Kyla says that I can't because she is."
"You both can be Puss. It's your imagination, hello! You can be him too."
Daughter whispering but not really, "You can't. I am him so that means you can't be Puss."
Weeping and wailing follows... You get the picture.

We are in the last 6 hours of our trip, and I didn't care if anyone was Puss in boots. So I turn around and tell them that if they kept fighting about it, then we would pull over and they could pull the weeds on the side of the road.

We are talking I-40 people. That is some road. And those are some weeds. Yes-indeedy.

They didn't believe me, of course. And so to the side of the road we went. They stomped out of the van, appauled that I would make them pull the weeds in a field of weeds. I had them walk far away from the road (because safety is almost always first) and made sure that there were plenty of weeds to be pulled.

They hopped back in and started the fighting again, so I had them get out again and pull more.

It. Was. Awesome. Pure genius, if I do say so myself.

I have never been so grateful for weeds in my life.

8 comments:

Nolie said...

OMG That is awesome. I have to remember punishments like this as Little Man gets older.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

DUDE YOU ARE MY FREAKIN HERO! I'M SOOOOO FREAKIN DOING THIS THE NEXT TIME I WANT TO CHOP EVERYONE'S HEAD OFF ON A LONG DRIVE.

sorry for all caps...but i wanted to make sure you knew how cool you are!

Tylaine said...

That is frickin' genius!! I'll have to keep that one in mind for when I have a garden. Maybe by then they'll be able to tell a weed from a flower or plant :)
You could also just take two cars on a roadtrip and leave the kids in with you hubby and they could fight all they wanted and you could happily drive along blaring your tunes! :)

Unknown said...

You are amazing!! I'm going to remember this one!! I could have used it earlier today as we returned from our camping trip with 3 not-so-littles stuffed into the back seat of the truck!

Thanks for the smile!!
~H

paige said...

The more I read your blog, the more in awe of you I become.

You're awesome.

Rheanna Bristol said...

That is awesome! We would get along great! I made my kids clean a burger king once last year. Its scheduled for next weeks Memory Monday. Truly genious!

mountain mama said...

hilarious!!!!!!! way to go!!!!!

we lived through a 19 hour drive with our three monkeys...oh, boy!

have a great week :)

Unknown said...

AH HA HA! You are so awesome and so hilarious!!! This is really too funny! I can't believe you actually pulled over and made them pull weeds by the side of the road! They tried to call your bluff but it totally didn't work. Way to go! :)