Friday, July 30, 2010

Excuse me....

Hubs and I were gone this week from Wednesday until Friday...alone. All alone. It has been 10 years since we have been alone. All alone.  It was so nice! Now I remember why I married this guy. He is really quite amazing. And the coolest thing? He still likes me too.

And that, my friends, is why I have been MIA from my bloggedy-blogging this week. But I am sure you understand. (Plus you know I will share some of it with you...I'm good like that.)

And so today, you get to read one of my favorite poems. I wish that I could say that I wrote it, but then the guilt would take over my thoughts, you know how I feel about guilt. I am not sure who wrote it, but she could have been writing about my house.

Enjoy and I will be back in full force tomorrow!!

Excuse This House

Some houses try to hide the fact
that children shelter there.
Ours boasts of it quite openly,
The signs are everywhere.

For smears are on the windows,
little smudges on the doors;
I should apologize, I guess
for toys strewn on the floor.

But I sat down with the children,
we played, laughed and read;
And if the doorbell doesn't shine
their eyes will shine instead.

For when at times I'm forced to choose
the one job or the other;
I want to be a house wife-
but first I'll be a mother.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea for getting away with the hubby. That is always so nice. That poem is beautiful.

Erin said...

That is so awesome you got some time away! The hubs and I just went to SF for our 1st weekend alone in 4 years!

It's so much fun isn't it! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Unknown said...

That poem is one of my faves too!! Years ago, my sister bought it framed for me for Christmas. So many times, that poem gave me permission to enjoy my kids.

One Photo said...

I think only when you become a mother does a poem like this really speak to you and it is a lovely poem.

I thought I was badly off not having had any alone or away time with my husband in three and a half years, but ten years?!? Oh my, I am glad you got a break together, it must have been wonderful.

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

wow...yet again ur my hero...not only do you pull over and do the 'pull weeds' thing..

but you were alone...like really alone for more than 2 hrs w/the hubs! all women everywhere envy you!

Teachinfourth said...

Glad you're back, the Internet just wasn't the same without you. BTW, I hope you had a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

Aww, how nice to get away for a while! Glad you had a nice time. I like the way you like you and your husband like each other. In marriage that's a lot more important than some people think. Being both in love and in like, now that's hot! - G