Tuesday, August 30, 2016

For billing....press 1

Everyone hates a telemarketer call.  Am I right?

Now imagine that you have to interpret a telemarketer call.

Now imagine you have to interpret a telemarketer call about 30 times a day.

Yeah, welcome to my life.

You see I am a video relay interpreter for those who use sign language to communicate. How does this work? Suppose my Deaf husband wanted to call you on the phone. He would call me on a video phone...and we could see each other. Then I would conference you in and I would interpret for the two of you. Beautiful.

But when I am working a 10 hour shift, that starts in the morning and ends in the early evening, I can't tell you how many phone trees, robo-calls, debt collectors, technical support, and telemarketer calls I interpret.

Enough to last a lifetime...

....and then some.