Ahhh the joys of sate-wide testing.
You know you love them. Especially these new ones.
Our newest one is the PARCC. And it is just plain glorious....the best there ever was. Eight weeks of testing for the high school. Yes, that is 2 months of testing. They spend 3 hours on 7 questions and aren't allowed to read or do anything except sleep on a keyboard when they finish their test. Genius!
Even better is making our elementary kids type timed essays on subjects not discussed in class... because all 3rd graders are proficient at typing. Also awesome is requiring that they show and explain their math work on a computer...because what 3rd grader doesn't know how to make a number line on a computer and then use it to show their work and then explain how they came to that answer....seriously awesome!
Oh yes. I love them!
But what I am looking forward to most at the end of all this testing?
I can finally STOP making sure my kids get a good night sleep and a healthy breakfast each day. It's just so exasperating and wares me out.
They told me to and so I have no choice...I have to...
Wait. Shouldn't I already be doing this?
Like EVERY DAY???
And if I wasn't already doing this, do you think that I will start now simply because it's a testing month (or two)?
What about you?
Do tell if you love testing as much as I do....
2 comments:
We were a test school for PARCC last year. I was supposed to have notice that Youngest was going to be part of it. I did not. His testing day fell on the day after he had 3 major tests in major subjects and on the day that he had 3 more major tests in his 3 remaining subjects.
And then the school wondered why he had an epic meltdown.
Honestly, I have told the kids to make a picture/pattern out of their answers... those tests mean nothing toward their ability to learn, only the school's ability to churn out numbers and statistics.
I am a teacher in Canada ( Ontario) -- we have very brief standardized testing for our grade 3's and 6's ( 3 days for math and language combined) . And we think that this is terrible! It is so stressful for all involved. I feel very sorry for your kids.
Post a Comment