Monday, July 30, 2012

You know what I love....

I try and get our school supplies early...

...and when I say early, I mean BEFORE tax-free weekend. Why? Why would a mother with four school aged children miss out on no taxes? 

I'll tell you why. Tax-free weekend is exactly like Black Friday except it is concetrated completely on about 5 aisles. Yeah. Imagine trying to get everything on the list for 4 children... Yeah, I just don't do that. I can pay the extra $9.

That is why I go early.

But do you know what I love?

Nope, not the price tag, although that is a close second. This year it came to $378. (This number does NOT include clothing.) And the extra bonus to this is that they have promised to have additional items requested on the first day of school. Oh, yeah, and never mind that my junior high schooler is sure to have lab fees, band fees, etc fees. That's exciting, but not the best.

What I really love is when I go to the superstore early so that I can beat the crowds and be sure to get everything on my list the first time and discover they don't have everything. Love that. Colored pencils. They didn't have colored pencils.

Correction. I approached the worker and asked, "Are you guys out of colored pencils?"

"No. We have some. Right here." She lead me a few steps down the aisle to the box with 72 pencils in it.

Really? Did she really think that was what I was asking for?

Okay, so I guess it was my fault for not specifying that this would be for my elementary school aged children, not my aspiring artist husband. (I don't have one of those, by the way.)

Needless to say, I wasn't going to buy  of the $7 pencils....sigh.

Now I just have to remember to go to the store and get colored pencils. I'm thinking it may just be Walgreen's.

What do you love about back to school shopping?

7 comments:

Gabe said...

Oh I am not looking forward to this....not at al!!

Susan Anderson said...

I loved nothing about it.

Except knowing that my kids were, indeed, going BACK to school. By September, I was always more than ready!

;)

jsturner1 said...

Oh Stef!!!! Where do I start??? As soon as Target gets ther back to school aisle out I get all giddy!!!! I shop every store and buy every deal. It makes me very happy. School supplies cheap and knowing that my kids are going back!!!!

Juli said...

I love that we don't do it. We buy clothes as needed and cycle through last years stuff until they need more. And I stock up all year long so if I go through the closet I'll likely come up with every thing they need and more. And honestly, half the stuff on the list, they never even use.

Just another marketing holiday...

Juli said...

Okay... I'm not gonna lie though, I do like to occasionally sniff the markers. :)

Mary said...

I never ever have gone shopping on tax free weekend. People are just crazy!

Jenny said...

I'm having trouble finding your London post.

The thing I love about school shopping for Grandlittles is the one on one time. I take each one individually and we spend a day.

it's exhausting but soooo fun!